Clockspring (under horn button)

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Clockspring (under horn button)

Post by stanrob »

My mechanic says I need to replace the clockspring in my 85 4WD, and that's why the (new) horn won't honk when the steering wheel is in the straight position. It will honk when the steering wheel is turned about a quarter-turn either way. Is he right? Where can I find a replacement clockspring? I see lots of them for more recent cars with airbags, but none before that.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Clockspring (under horn button)

Post by marlinh »

Our Tercels do not have a clockspring. They are found in cars with airbags, like you say. It is just a contact under the horn pad. Is your car a DLX or SR5? The horn pad pops off the DLX and has (I think) two screws holding it on the back of the steering wheel.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the club!

See page BE-6 of the FSM, downloadable on each page.
Also see part of http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repair ... 5280052397 , per dlb's words.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

there is a spring but it is under the steering wheel as part of the turnsignal indicator, nothing to do with the horn. MOre likely you can pull the steering wheel (it is easy), and just clean the contact surface of the brass ring and contact. Also stretch the spring on the contact lug so it makes better contact (make it longer). Should solve the issue.

If you want to try something without pulling the steering wheel get some tuner contact cleaner and spray in the gap between the steering wheel and column, turning a lot to spread it around (use a rag under it, it will run out all over). Sometimes that will clean it good enough and improve contact so it will work okay. but pulling the steering wheel is always the best way to clean the contacts. there might even be a procedure in the service manual (link to the FSM is above).
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Re: Ornery horn button

Post by stanrob »

I am relieved to learn that my mechanic was wrong!

I do have the FSM and very much appreciate the cite to page BE-5. As far as I can see, it shows the fixed brush but not the rotating ring.

But now there's more to report:

I borrowed a puller, purchased metric bolts for it, pulled the wheel, and polished the contact surfaces which were right there like you said. Unfortunately, and maddeningly, it made no difference at all! So I'm back to the drawing board. Obviously, more tests coming up. I guess I'll try contact cleaner next.

Again, how do I change the name of this forum to one that makes sense?
stanrob
Top Notch Member

Re: Ornery horn button

Post by stanrob »

Eureka! After all this wheel-spinning, I finally figured it out, and cured the problem (with a jerry-rig).

The problem: the suspension of the stationary electrical brush under the steering wheel was making it just a tiny bit shorter than needed to form contact with the steering wheel’s ring in all of its positions. Looking at that ring, I would have called it perfectly flat, but in fact it isn’t. In the straight-ahead position, that ring wasn’t quite meeting the brush. Perhaps after 290,500 miles it had worn short.

The jerry-rig fix: please don’t groan too hard. I cut a very small piece of aluminum foil and fashioned a tiny conductive cap for the brush. Voila, it works (for now)!

I’m speculating that my original effort replacing the horn was 100% wasted. Even though my mechanic’s diagnosis wasn’t right, he did what I asked him to do, and I think he’s entitled to extra credit for then noticing that I could honk with the steering wheel sufficiently turned.

Has anybody else run into this?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If you kept the old horn - wire it up with the new one!
See my https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=horn
Note that I used a relay and another fuse and more wiring, though.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »