Carburated, manual choke?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

Sorry, just doing research, i dont own one, but does the tercel 4WD have a manual choke, or auto choke?
-mark
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

All the carbs I've seen were auto.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

They're all auto but there is a kit you can buy to make it manual. It's easy to put in. It has a thing that replaces the bimetal spring housing on your automatic choke and contains a linkage for a cable. The cable goes to a push/pull thing that mounts somewhere on the dash. I had one on my old car but took it off because I found the original choke worked better. If you use the manual choke right, you should have some gas savings.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

Ok, just comparing it to my 87 civic wich has a manual choke, there is a choke lever beside the steering wheel (to the left) that has 4 positions. Its very neat, and it surpises lots of people i take for a ride that in 87 honda still had manual choke avail!

The only reason i would prefer auto choke is that if i let freinds drive, they wouldnt have to figure out the manual choke (trust me, especially if you have a non mechanically inclined friend) sometimes it takes half an hour of me explaining how to use it before they can figure it out!

Overall, does anyone has any major complaints about the auto choke becoming less accurate in its operation over time? AKA do you ever have to rebuild or maintain the auto choke, is it computerized at all?
-mark
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

unclejemima wrote: Ok, just comparing it to my 87 civic wich has a manual choke, there is a choke lever beside the steering wheel (to the left) that has 4 positions. Its very neat, and it surpises lots of people i take for a ride that in 87 honda still had manual choke avail!
-mark
I'm guessing you're in Canada, I know the carbureted Civics had manual chokes there. The USDM Civics got auto chokes in 1984, if not earlier.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

Ah, keen eye. I did not know that.

Updated question; do the canadian tercel's have a manual choke?

And why would honda give Canada a manual choke and not the US?

-mark
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

unclejemima wrote: And why would honda give Canada a manual choke and not the US?

-mark
No idea. They gave Canada less emissions equipment and more power too. <_<
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

My automatic choke isn't the greatest. It works, but sometimes it comes off too early and the engine runs bad. I would rather have EFI which always works the same way as long as all the sensors are good.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

My 79 Volvo lists slightly MORE power than the Canadian version...like 105 vs 99 horse or something...dunno why! Maybe it's a cam thing....shrug
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

There is a manual choke kit? What do I ask for? I hate the auto choke on my 87 wagon, it constantly causes problems in the cold weather here in the mountains, and would love to replace the thing with a manual.
Do I need to know the specific caburator by part number or what?
thanks!
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I got mine at Canadian Tire. I expect the same thing would be sold at the common parts stores.