4age efi conversion to carb?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
terc85
My tercel:: 1985 5spd 3door hatch

4age efi conversion to carb?

Post by terc85 »

Does anyone have any info about converting a 4AGE efi to carb? I've read fom some other guys that the wiring/ gas tank is alot less intence when swaping into the tercel. I know synthdesign is doing an efi convertion and it looks like alot of extra work than the carbed version. :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 4age efi conversion to carb?

Post by Petros »

I have seen a duel side draft carb set-up for the 4AGE (off road use only), it is very costly unless you can find it used (even than it would cost more than a used 4age). I think the EFI is a better set up, but a bit more hassel (though not as bad as you seem to think), I am also doing the same conversion.

You can always fab your own of course, but I would stick with the EFI before i did that.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terc85
My tercel:: 1985 5spd 3door hatch

Post by terc85 »

Thanks petros, just a thought as efi's seem easier to come by. :/
erognmo
My tercel:: -86 3a euro spec, 4ag project

Post by erognmo »

yamaha yzf R1 carbs -98-99 cheap on ebay
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Converting these engins to FI is realy the way to go. its not that bad to doo ,look at my post larrys tercel gets a v20 black top - in Galery section for the post- the nicest thing is drive ability. when this is started it revs to 1800 rpm and within a few seconds it idles down to 850rpm,from then on their isnt even the slightest hesitation,even when cold,no more coughing and farting around its realy great to drive. On a little road trip last week got 34 mpg running 75 mph most of the way. this swap was worth all the work mainly because you can drive at any speed you want mountain passes or not and the acceleration is quite impressive even cold. I would'nt even consider carbs and tuning problems that go with them, who wants to tune your engine every week to keep it at it's peak performance,not me. Like the saying goes if it has tits or carberators your GOING to have trouble with it. My two cents worth. Larry :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I grew up with carbs, from the early simple one barrels, to twin SU carbs, and then the early japanese ones. I have even rebuilt a number of large V8 4 barrel carbs. Most of these cars had points ignition too, I was under the hood once a month to keep them running good, with a carb rebuild about once a year. This was normal mantenance, and a carb rebuild was considered a normal part of a major tune-up. All the street tuners hated the early EFI, mostly because they did not know what to do with it. I thought it was a great idea, but I am an engineer, not full time mechanic.

Than we had EFI for a number of years, and what a nice change; extreme cold, or hot, any condition, starts instantly and drive right off. Never vapor lock or icing, ever. Virtually no maintenance: over 300k miles on our MPV with only filter changes, and occasional injector cleaner in the tank, ditto with my Pathfinder. Than I bought my first Tercel4wd, and I remembered how much I hated the carb. Though I have learned to live the Tercel carb, I look forward to getting my 4age conversion mostly for the reason of not having a carb on my engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

petros is right. The nicest thing about my v20 B/T conversion is driveability starts hot or cold revs to 1800 wethin seconds idles down to 850,runs smoth with no hesitation at all at any speed,and makes this car a real pleasure to drive at any speed. was worth the extra effort, went on a little road trip last week averaged 34mpg at 75 mph not bad.This engine combo will run at any speed you want to drive, and the acceleration is quite impressive. like they say if it has ti-ts or carburators it will give you trouble. Larry :D
erognmo
My tercel:: -86 3a euro spec, 4ag project

Post by erognmo »

I'm going for R1 carbs... we'll see how it ends.. they work just fine in Yamaha's snowmobiles, so.. ?! i'll try.. =)