62 horses in one hand

Post here about...well...anything!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

62 horses in one hand

Post by splatterdog »

Moving stuff around the garage and found out I can lift a terc engine(no manifolds) with one hand. Can carry it around with two. I expected 62 horses to weigh more.

Just an observation.....
Don Jorgensen
Advanced Member

Re: 62 horses in one hand

Post by Don Jorgensen »

Splatterdog,
That is quite a feat.
Did you lift with one hand like a suitcase on the side or straddle and center lift?
Over 40 years ago, I worked for an old Iowa Farmer who was a local legend on feats of strength. Back in the pre WWII days, most goods arrived by rail. A box car of potatoes came to town and 100# sacks of potatoes were being sold. Always toward the end of the supply when most people had made purchases, the potatoe sale would commense with lowering prices until finally it got down to $1.00 for all you could carry. Now Neil, who has long since gone on to the farm in the sky, grabbed 2 sacks and set them side by side with a standing space inbetween. He then laid a sack on its side on top of each standing sack, set another standing sack in front of the standing 4. He then stepped up, draped his arms over the stacked sacks, grabbed the tops of the standing sacks, bent over and with his teeth picked up the 5th 100# sack, stood up and walked off with 500#s of potatoes. Working with him when he was in his late 70's, he could still throw bales of hay and straw with the young guys.
You mid-west fellas are a hardy bunch!

Don Jorgensen
new purchase 87 DLX Wagon FWD 126,000
Daily Driver 86 SR5 4WD 252,000 miles and rolling
94 Previa 175,000 Sold
93 Corolla 248,000 Confiscated
past 86 DLX Wagon FWD 298,000 rusted away
85 Wagon FWD 195,000 T-boned and expired
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Certainly wasn't trying to brag. Just surprised by the light weight. One handed suitcase grab just to see if I could. Two handed straddle for the carry. Saved me from digging the cherry picker out just to move it a few feet.

The real test today will be bench pressing out and back in while twisting and manuevering a transfercase in a 01 F-150. I hate tranny jobs....

Pretty sure that tough old farmer could've shown this suburbanite up. Sounds like he could lift a big block v8. But, a little over 20 years ago while camping at a place with a lunatic proprietor, he had an elcamino he drove around that was being crushed with split firewood. $2.00 for all you could carry. I asked him, you sure? He nods with a crazy smile. OK I say, and put the forks out. He was laughing hysterically as he had to stand on his tailgate to keep stacking. $2.00 covered us for trip. Later that night he almost blew himself up using lots of gasoline to light his huge bonfire pile.
Don Jorgensen
Advanced Member

Post by Don Jorgensen »

Splatterdog,
This topic stirred up more memories....sorry but I just can't help it. Lighting bonfires is the que here. Some highschool buddies of mine and I reconvened in the summer of 1970 after some went off to college, some to work, and some to Vietnam. One that came home from Vietnam planned a big party by the back pasture creek of his families farm. I helped haul brush and branches cut from fence rows and the grove out to the party site on the Saturday afternoon. It was early July just after the 4th, Kens' dad, John, was cultivating corn in the field adjacent to the creek pasture. We tapped the keg along about 4 pm...had the brush piled high and were waiting for dark to light the pile but the bbq and drinking had to start. John, sensing something in the wind,stopped at the end rows...left the tractor idle and danced across the creek stepping on tall rocks to get over to us and the keg. He slammed down 2 mugs and daintilly skipped on the rocks back to the waiting tractor. We proceeded to bbq the pig and party down. After several rounds John clutched at the end rows and proceeded to hop skip and mostly stay dry another passage to the party. Again he slammed down 2 and said that he could get a couple of more rounds before dark. He departed with just a couple of slips and splashes. He made but 1 more round...stopped at the end rows, shut the tractor down and just splashed across the creek like Gene Kelly singin in the rain. Well it was about dark and we had a mixture of 1/2 and 1/2 gas and diesel. We splashed the brush pile, that was about as big as a single garage all over with the mix. Ken laid down a fuse of sorts...basically a trail of fuel and yelled for attention. He hardly flicked the bic when the fuel ignited and followed the fuse. That pile of brush didn't just light, it actually blew up with a huge ball of fire and noise. It threw sticks and branches and left little fires all over. Lucky for us the bbq was spared and so was the keg.
new purchase 87 DLX Wagon FWD 126,000
Daily Driver 86 SR5 4WD 252,000 miles and rolling
94 Previa 175,000 Sold
93 Corolla 248,000 Confiscated
past 86 DLX Wagon FWD 298,000 rusted away
85 Wagon FWD 195,000 T-boned and expired
bleakhorizon
My tercel:: 1986 wagon 4x4 6spd, 1985 sr5 4x4 6spd

Post by bleakhorizon »

reminds me of my air cooled vw days lol.... i would unbolt the engine grab the thing and yard it around lol no problem...
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Lol... A 3AC block in each arm.. I'll have to get pics for ya'll... lol. Throw on the heads and it gets harder. Cranks and other rotating mass and it's down to one. Fully dressed and I can get it, just with a lot of grunting and groaning. Now, an Oldsmobile 215 V-8, with manifolds, heads, and no rotating assembly... I can get it about 2 inches off the ground, straddling, and shuffle across the shop.

Then its off to my physical therapist mom for some muscle treatments.
Lol
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew