Rear High Mounted Brake Lamp

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Has anyone ever installed a high mounted stop lamp in the rear window of an '85 or earlier ?? I took one out of an '86 model at a junkyard, thinking it would bolt right up, but when I tried to install it today, nothing would fit....the bolt pattern on the bracket was totally different from what's on my door. It's be a while since i got the lamp, so maybe i forgot how it went in, but i couldn't see anything that matched up from my liftgate to the lamp.....would even have to have a different trim panel ( the one on the salvage car was missing, would have been a different color, anyway). If anybody has any ideas, please let me know......otherwise, I'd be glad to let this one go cheap if anybody needs one. I think i paid about $6 for it at the yard.

MJ
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I've never actually seen a tercel wagon without one...

I've replaced the bulb in mine before though, and I believe it has a whole mounting apparatus to bolt the frame of the rear door. Maybe you didn't get all the pieces you need? Also, the plastic molding in the rear door will need to be cut in the correct spot to allow the light frame to bolt.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

I may have missed a part or two, although I thought I had it all. Wasnt' '86 the first year that the gov't. required the lights to be installed ??
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

GTSSportCoupe wrote: I've never actually seen a tercel wagon without one...
My '83 doesn't have one. I think JCWhitney sells an aftermarket light that mounts inide the rear hatch glass...maybe not.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

takza wrote:
GTSSportCoupe wrote: I've never actually seen a tercel wagon without one...
My '83 doesn't have one. I think JCWhitney sells an aftermarket light that mounts inide the rear hatch glass...maybe not.
Guess I have not looked too close at any pre 86 tercel wagons ;)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

my 84 sr5 doesn't have a center brake light either. I was planning on adding one later with the conversion (I know I am always talking about it..I am hopeless...but one thing about me is no matter how long it takes, when I get a bug like this in my head, I always follow through with it..hehe)
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Same here. I finally got one installed that I got out of one at the junkyard, but there's a wiring problem somewhere that I haven't had time to track down yet. Neither the center mounted stop lamp or my license plate lights are working. Everything else on the circuit works. I have an extra stop lamp I got before I determined this was a wiring problem. If anybody want's it, let me know....just need the plastic cover for it .
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol