Dash Removal

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Dash Removal

Post by Typrus »

Anyone know how to get the dash out without mangling it? I need to know so I can get it out of Red to scour it. I'm going to try and R&R the old girl so long as the dash can be removed without destroying it.
If I can I'm debating taking Silvers drivetrain and transplanting it. That hinges off of whether or not she can be fixed. I need to haul her down to a body shop for a quote. If she can't be saved, I'll have an 87 with an 84 drivetrain, provided the dash can be yanked properly.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: Dash Removal

Post by Highlander »

REF FSM section BO-67- full instructions. I was just about to do this to Yota to try and remove the heater core for later use, since its an 83 and blasts heat, and the 85 don't!
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

I've been wanting to open up my dash too.

If you could do a step by step with photos that'd be amazing. The FSM is good, but real photos are always better.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

We'll have to see. "Safety Pad" eh? This may be fun.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It comes off real easy, easier than I thought the first time I did it. You should remove the steering wheel (not required but it lowers the risk of damaging it to get it clear), and you have to carefully remove several of the plastic trim parts around the air vent to expose the screws along the upper edge, I used a clean putty knife to pop out the trim without damaging it.

Then you can usually see the screws along the lower edge under the lip, some are behind plastic trim (another reason it is easier to have the steering wheel off). Once you get all the screws out it just wiggles free. Do not force it, you might have hidden screws you did not remove, so double check if it does not come free when you pull on it. I think I can have one off in 15 to 20 min. including removing the steering wheel.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)