Want to Buy: '84-86 Tercel 4WD Wagon

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
TercelMonkey
My tercel:: Want to Buy: '85, SR5 4WD wagon

Want to Buy: '84-86 Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post by TercelMonkey »

Interested in buying an '84-86 Tercel 4WD manual speed wagon. Working condition, small repairs ok. Prefer 1985 SR5 if possible.

I'm located in South Carolina and am willing to travel to the eastern and central states to pick up.

Does anyone have leads on available cars?

Thanks! :D
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Re: Want to Buy: '84-86 Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Is it at all possible that toyota has warehouses full of all the parts for these things? enought so that you could somehow special order a BRAND NEW 4wd tercel built entirely from spare warehouse parts somwhere...?

i know this is the case with Delorians...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - Butler Toy in Indy has a new short block for only $1346...
It's a start...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

all manufactures make a certain number of spares for a few years after a model has run its course, and then stop. Once that inventory of spares is gone, you will not be able to get them anymore from the factory. If you can still get some older model parts available from the dealer it is because they happen to still have a few in stock. After that is it wrecking yards, or you have to make your own parts (this is often done with antique engines or cars that are valuable).

Many times there are parts that are from newer models that can be interchanged, and they will inventory these and tag them as interchangeable with other years and models so you can still get a superseded part, but not exactly the same one. Also the parts suppliers, often the same ones the factory uses, will continue to make and carry the obsolete parts for a number of years longer. But when the model gets old enough, it is no longer financially viable to make and inventory the parts. That is when certain parts can get hard to find.

I suspect there are even some parts houses that go around buying up discontinued older model car parts from suppliers cheap, to keep selling them to the few remaining cars that die-hards like us insist on keeping running. If there is something particularly unique and valuable about the car (like a rare sports car, or especially desirable special model like a Chevy Nomad for example) where enough old car enthusiasts keep them going, someone will do limited production runs of hard to find parts. Sometimes even specialty car clubs will obtain production rights from a defunct maker and continue to make spares available just to keep their cars in "show room fresh" condition.

But once the spares inventory is gone, none of the other options are cheap and it gets costly to keep the car going with new parts. So either the car becomes valueble enough to make it worth while, or it just becomes junk since it is not worth keeping running.

We have already reached that point with our 6 speed 4wd trans, I have seen Tercel4wd in tranny shops that require $2000 worth of trans repairs, so these Tercel end up in a wrecking yard. I doubt you could make a viable business of having Tercel trans parts made to keep trans to like new condition, it would just cost too much for short runs of the parts. So once all the good used trans get used up, all of our Tercels will become obsolete and will only be good for scrap metal. If they should ever become worth $25,000 or more as collector cars, than spending $6000-8000 for a replacement trans MIGHT be worth it, but I doubt that will ever happen.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

So - and this is probably a pretty germane comment...also naive, but considering I've not had a trans problem...
Would it be practical (realistic) to buy a low-mileage 5-speed 2WD trans/diff for a replacement when 6-speeds are NLA? Or maybe just a low-mileage 5-speed complete drivetrain?
Don't trash me on the question...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

that seems like a viable option if you can find one that fits...im shure the things that actually ware out (like bearings) are standard sizes and can be found almost anywhere also ...

Or...if anybody else thinks like i do...ditch both the engine and transmission alltogether and do an electric-conversion..and connect the E-motor directly to the rear drive shaft...would make the car perminantly RWD, but would still serve its perpus...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

CathodeRayTube wrote: Or...if anybody else thinks like i do...ditch both the engine and transmission alltogether and do an electric-conversion..and connect the E-motor directly to the rear drive shaft...would make the car perminantly RWD, but would still serve its perpus...
That would be a waste of a perfectly good Tercel 4wd. Go do that with a Subaru or something else, leave the disappearing Tercel 4wd out of your diabolical plans.... :twisted:
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

my ideal electric plan would be to keep the trans and 4wd capability...was just stating it could be done that way if noway else...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
TercelMonkey

Post by TercelMonkey »

Holy derailed, batman! :P

Anyone have any leads on tercel's for sale in the southeast?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Check Craiglist? http://crazedlist.org/

If you do some internet searches you can find regional papers with online ads.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

TercelMonkey,

there's an '85 for sale here in middle TN, he's posted here on the site under NoFace, i think. I haven't seen it personally, but have talked with him and it sounds like a decent car. Search the postings and you'll find it , or here's the Craigslist link: http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1021560680.html

I'd love to have the car, but we haven't got together on price yet, and my wife would probably go see a lawyer if I brought another one home right now....
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
TercelMonkey

Post by TercelMonkey »

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did notice that Tercel in TN and would love to check it out. I have been weighing the cost/benefit of getting a new carb and paint job for it vs the $1200 price tag, and that's assuming that the carb is the only thing wrong. I'm from Idaho, and there is a working Tercel in Boise for 500 that I might have my brother check out (maybe make a road trip out of it?).
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

i was looking at the same one and was seriously thinking about buying it...noface sent me some great pictures of it...it needs work but looks restorable...but then he just kind of dropped off and wont get back to me or respond...so IDK if he sold it already or didnt like my offer or what...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
gotoysr5
My tercel:: 1983,1984

Post by gotoysr5 »

I have 2 tercels for sale in Loveland Colorado. The 84 has little to no rust, 143k 5 speed 4wd, front end damage.
The 83 has rust over 200k , new timing belt , brakes etc... and this baby has an automatic sun roof! Please call 970-667-4930 if interested. i would like to see these cars go to someone who appriciates them. Will sell seperatly. thanks lori