Terc trailer hitch

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Terc trailer hitch

Post by sdoan »

For sale or trade - the trailer hitch I just pulled off my 84 4wd. The hitch has a load bearing plate that bolts to the back of the bumper beam and a forward extension that bolts to the front and back of the spare tire well. It seems to be a secure attachment and there were no signs of working or flexing. If you are interested contact me here.

The hitch is in NW Washington state.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Terc trailer hitch

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is tempting - but it is outside the '08 budget, what with a couple of other mods planned for Goldie.
I do have a couple of questions, though:
1. Brand of hitch?
2. Nationally available or made locally?
3. Does it use a permanent ball (size?) or an insert tube?
4. Size of trailer it can pull?
The last question may seem naive, but what I would be looking at would be the usual 2-12" wheels utility trailer sold for $200 +/-, at HF or similar outlets, or maybe pulling a chipper/cement mixer from a rental store. In other words - no Airstream.
Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

ARCHINSTL wrote: 1. Brand of hitch?
2. Nationally available or made locally?
3. Does it use a permanent ball (size?) or an insert tube?
4. Size of trailer it can pull?
what I would be looking at would be the usual 2-12" wheels utility trailer sold for $200 +/-, at HF or similar outlets, or maybe pulling a chipper/cement mixer from a rental store. In other words - no Airstream.
Thanks!
Tom M.
Hey Tom,

The hitch has a sticker from a local outfit - Mann's Welding" or something. It appears to be pre-made hitch modified to fit the Terc. It has a trailer ball (it is not a receiver hitch) and I think it would easily handle the type of small trailer you are talking about. I weigh almost 180 there was no flex or springiness when standing on it. I can take pictures of it if you want but I left it at my girl friend's so you'll have to wait a day or so - I should really do better about picking up after myself! :lol:

Cheers,
Shawn
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks, Shawn!
A pix or two would be nice - just to see what it looks like/get an idea of the dimensions.
As I mentioned, I'm not looking to buy (especially postage from WA to MO!), but I'd like to get an idea for the future, as my p'up has no bumper and the chassis is waaay too rusty to have a hitch installed (I truly think the bed is keeping the chassis together).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Tom- I've got a Draw-Tite aftermarket on the SR5, rated at 100 lbs tongue wt, and 1000 lbs trailer weight. It appears to be made to fit, bolts to the bumper (2 plcs) and then wraps up behind the rear frame rail and bolts there also (1 plc) I've towed chippers, other cars, and dragged logs with it.The ball goes through it with a bolt, it'll fit up to a 2 1/8" ball. One word of warning, if your clutch is getting old, DON'T try to back a chipper up a hill :oops: with a terc unless you're ready to change the clutch out. :roll:
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

Tom,

I've posted some pics in the gallery in sdoan's album.
Let's see if I can also put them in the post.... 3 of the images are very large (no good image software on this computer) so may load slowly.

This hitch is rated 300# tongue weight, and 3500# capacity! :lol:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks, Shawn!
I saved them.
Good "other" pics, too!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain