KYB Strut mismatch?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Highlander
Top Notch Member

KYB Strut mismatch?

Post by Highlander »

Has anyone put the KYB Gas-a-just rear shocks on mated with the GR2 front strut inserts? I've always had really good luck with the Gas-a-justs in the past, good performance, good life, etc. but I'd hate to create a balance problem by using two different reaction profiles. I'm planning on doing both of the '85s at the same time, and since the last time I priced them (a month ago) there is now only one place that I can get the GR2 fronts for under $50 each, so I'm ordering both sets at once. The price difference is $16 per (GR2 to Gas-a-just) so for the two cars the difference is ~$64. Anyone have any input??
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: KYB Strut mismatch?

Post by 4wdchico »

I just did the GR2 ft/Gas-a-just rear on my '85 Tercel SR5 4wd a little while back. Works really super. Hard to imagine a better shock setup.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Thanks, 4WD Chico, I had to pull the trigger nad get them ordered, so I ordered a set of each for the rears, and two sets of the GR2 s for the fronts. This way I can give you guys a direct one to one comparison if there's a difference. The twisty mountain roads that we drive give the suspensions a workout, as do the dirt roads around the house. I drive ~31 miles to work, 2 on dirt, 18 down 3000' elevation to the flats, and then 11 out onto the flats to work, so there's definitely opportunity to test responses under differing conditions.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

That is the set-up I have in my '86, and in the 9mos they've been installed, I've had no problems. Twice during that time I've driven Hwy 129 from Maryville, TN to Deal's Gap, NC, otherwise known as the Tail of the Dragon. I had to pull over several times to let the crotch rockets past, but had no problems with the Terc !
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Alright, the two '85 SR5s are both up and running, axles replaced, realignments done, etc. so I can now report on the differences between running KYB gas-A-just rear shocks with the GR2 front struts.
The handling on the GR2 all around setup is good, but I wouldn't say exceptional. It has a tendency to heel over a bit in the rear when rounding corners at high speeds (40' radius, ~ 50+mph, 90°-150°). Understeer under power (normal), good balance overall. :D
The handling on the GR2/Gas-A-Just setup is stiffer, the roll center feels lower (less tendency to heel over) and it corners flatter in the canyon. A little less understeer ( :D ), but on the washboard dirt it seems to have a higher rebound ratio that makes the rear end bounce more. :shock:, so it dances a bit more on the washboard.
Overall, the difference is minimal, if you drive on paved roads most of the time, and aren't (like me) an ex-racer, then you'll be happy with the GR2s all around. If you drive hard and occasionally have a heavy load in your Terc, then the Gas-A-Justs MIGHT be worth the extra $, the handling difference is difficult to feel for those (like my wife) who can't or don't pay enough attention to be able to, tell the difference between throttle on and throttle off handling. Essentially there's very little difference, Do as you please Drive as you like, and keep your Tercs on the road. one way or the other.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD