Oh sh...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Oh sh...

Post by Typrus »

I feel stupid. I didn't have a slide-pull hammer thingy, so I beat on my front pulley to get it off. Figured it'd be a pretty cheap replacement......... $194...... Oh dear lord... Are they hard to get off salvage engines?
This is from my project engine BTW.

Also, my sis drove my car for 40 miles in 4wd on dry pave while I was in Eagle Rock, Missouri. What do I need to look for? I'm scared here guys...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

go rent a slide hammer and hit up the junk yard :)

- R
I love my tercel :)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I don't know if it will be much of a consolation, but the first time my Beloved Sister borrowed my then-new '83, she shifted into 4WD "without knowing,"(right-it was a stick) and drove for several days around town, with no apparent damage - at least not for the remaining 2 years I had it (before she ran it out of water and cracked all kinds of things - last time she's ever driven anything of mine).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I wouldn't be too worried about 40 miles, unless she was driving in tight circles the whole time. :shock:
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Silly Typrus!!!!!!!!

Post by terceldude »

Well Typrus, tell your sister that the part-time 4wd is not meant for dry pavement. It is meant for a lot of snow on the road or icy roads or so, for that matter. Tell her that she has a lot of nerve and ignorance to use it in 4wd on dry pavement!!!! :x :x :x :x You are funny Typrus, what things are you going to do next to your Tercel? I know what you should do and what shogun and Rasmus, etc. should do: you guys should have your engine ported with a Killer Nitrous Porting: For a killer Nitrous Head, we can increase the Exhaust flow to 100-105%.
You'll get 100 Horse Power Gain, Price ...$1099* Call to order (603) 378-0090, you guys should have your crankshafts knife-edged:
It gives you POWER!
You can Rev up quicker!
It lets your crank cut through the oil easier!
It takes weight off the crank (2-3 lbs) for a faster RPM!
Description Price
4 Cylinder $299
Then you guys should have your engines fitted with oversize valves:
Oversize Valve Installation
Send us your Head and we will install oversize valves supplied by any of the aftermarket suppliers.
Purchase the valves from us or send along the ones you have.

Here's what we do:
Power Clean Head
Disassemble Head
Check Heads for Cracks
machine for perfectly flat surface
Check all valve guides*
Cut valve seats for new oversize valves
Re-Assemble Heads. (Porting services also available)
Total Cost: $379
(based on 12v motor. Additional valves $19/valve)
* Replacement guides extra, cost varies by motor.

Silly Typrus, Trix are for Kids or another way of wording it is Kix are for Trids!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

SWERD!

Post by terceldude »

The website for this is http://www.importperformanceparts.net/, then on the left-hand side, you will see a blue text saying Import Parts, scroll down until you see Toyota and click on Toyota. Then you will see TOYOTA Toyota Performance Parts and scroll down until you see Head Porting and click on that, etc. They also say that they carry restoration engine parts for older Toyotas, like ours!!!!!!! Email us for availability and pricing. Then they say:

Non-US Int'l Imports: We're the LARGEST supplier of Int'l custom/performance parts! Tell us what else you need!
PLEASE READ: Our parts are designed for the USA market, although many parts will also fit International applications (note that in some cases they may not). Please email us if you have a question on fitment.
K-Business
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Oh sh...

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote:I feel stupid. I didn't have a slide-pull hammer thingy, so I beat on my front pulley to get it off. Figured it'd be a pretty cheap replacement......... $194...... Oh dear lord... Are they hard to get off salvage engines?
This is from my project engine BTW.

Also, my sis drove my car for 40 miles in 4wd on dry pave while I was in Eagle Rock, Missouri. What do I need to look for? I'm scared here guys...
I used a crank pulley removal tool (uses screw action instead of hammer) recently on a 4age crank pulley that was rusted onto the crank. Worked really well. Easy to use in car too (if you need to pull one at a wrecker). I think most Toyota crank pulleys have threaded holes in the 'spokes' of the wheel that allow you to use one of these tools. I'd recommend it over a slide hammer (keep the slide hammer for pulling axles).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Wow terceldude... You must work for them... Then be happy that I'll be buying a TopLine rebuilt kit from them combined with high volume oil pump and race-style bearings.
Increased longevity!
Higher revs!
Blah ditty blah! :lol: :wink:

In-town loverly driving. She described it as "Your car didn't want to turn at all... then it wouldn't go fast." I'm figuring she kept binding things. Thus my fear. Luckily my mom drove it the next day and noticed it was in 4wd (remember, she drove an 87 SR5 4wd for 10 years) and took it out. She chewed my sis out for me.
Sheesh.. I have an oldest sister who decides Ford F-250's need to be driven 500 miles in 4-Hi, that 84 Terc's don't need oil, and neither do 96 Geo Metro's (how that thing still runs, God only knows) and that K&N filters don't need to be oiled >.<
Then I have a 2nd oldest sister who is scared to check her oil, doesn't know what antifreeze is, thinks Geo Metro's have Ferrari-style shifters (she blew 2nd gear in it.. thus why its parked) and doesn't notice huge glowing 4wd lights. Oi vei....... Oh yeah, and my 2nd youngest sister left my gascap off at the 7-11 (why they put that crap fuel in there I'll never know.. feels like they used regular as well...) and took it off my 86... I'll need one soon, lest face the evil wrath of the rusted tank.

What a world...

Screw-type? Where'd you get it?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Screw-type? Where'd you get it?
I rented it from a place we have in Canada called 'Canadian Tire'. I looked on their site to see if I could find a picture of it, but I couldn't. It lookes like a gear pulling tool, except is has bolts comming out of the ends of the arms. The bolts bolt into the crank pulley spokes. In the centre is a large bolt with a pointed end that braces on the crankshaft end. You screw the big bolt down, and it forces the pulley out. It was a kit that I rented, it had all the different sized arms and bolts; worked really well. If you had a welder, you could probably make your own. Just look at your 3ac pulley to see if it has threaded holes in the spokes; if so, you're good to go.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I'm off tomorrow to the wreckers for a new crank pulley wheel. Last time I used a steering wheel puller which I believe is similar to what GTSSportCoupe is talking about.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

nitrous ported heads for a grand... wtf? :roll:
Last edited by Rasmus on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love my tercel :)
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

I'm off tomorrow to the wreckers for a new crank pulley wheel. Last time I used a steering wheel puller which I believe is similar to what GTSSportCoupe is talking about.
My (inexpensive) Canadian Tire steering wheel puller has worked for me, so far...

Wayne