Electrical/Alternator glitch?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
BowieTercel
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5

Electrical/Alternator glitch?

Post by BowieTercel »

Hey guys. New to the forum. About two months ago, I purchased my first Tercel: an 84 4WD Tercel with a rebuilt 4a engine in it. Been working on it and replacing things as needed.

Took it out for a drive tonight and things got a little wacky. Even after it had warmed up, I kept stalling. Started to head back home and pulled over to check under the hood. I noticed that when I turned the wheel drastically, the rpms dropped, as if the power steering was affecting my rpms. Turned on my emergency lights and only the right light was blinking. Turned off the emergency lights and then my turn signal wouldn't work at all. Then after turning the car off and then back on, the headlights wouldn't turn on.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? Gonna look at fuses tomorrow to see if I blew anything.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Re: Electrical/Alternator glitch?

Post by Ridlbox »

How old is the battery and voltage regular
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
BowieTercel

Post by BowieTercel »

Battery is pretty new. Not sure on the voltage regulator. Gonna check voltage this morning and I'll report back.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

sounds like the alternator is dead and not charging the battery. put a volt meter on the battery while the car is off. it should read 12.5 V when fully charged. if it's lower, that tells you it has not been getting charged lately. then start the car if possible and put the volt meter back on the battery. it should now read about 14 V. if it's low, the alternator is not charging the battery.

i'm totally unfamiliar with the external voltage regulators that came on some of these cars so you might want to investigate that too before replacing the alternator. check the FSM or do a search here on how to check it.
BowieTercel

Post by BowieTercel »

Turn signals started working again in the morning but then went out again and then worked again, so I waited till yesterday afternoon to check the voltage. When the car was off it was 12.5 v and when it was running it was 13.5v. Seems like an electrical issue. But I checked again today and everything is working. Part of me wants to get in there and start checking wiring, but I might wait until I have another weird episode (which crossed fingers I won't). Any thoughts as to what might have caused it?
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

The next time you go under the hood to check stuff out remove your ground wires and check that all of your wires are not corroded at both contact points the block the battery the engine firewall You also must check and make sure that your wires are not loose in anyway dirt and watercauses corrosion and bad connections
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You will need to check first to see if you have an internal or external regulated alternator.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k