85 terc Reno NV

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

85 terc Reno NV

Post by Gottolovem »

I figured I would post this car here before i put this one on craigslist.

This is the car i saved from under a tree around two years ago it's current owner contacted me today because her uncle found her a low mile honda thats pristeen so now she wants to sell the t4 i put together for her.
There is very little i have not done to this car it will go across the country without a hickup
I have personally replaced the engine,battery,fuel pump,clutch,entire cooling system and countless little dodads all over the place.
The car had a respray before i got it and there is some visible bondo repair work on passenger door.
I will post this car on craigslist next week @1,500 but will negotiate with a forum member.
I don't BS people or paint pretty pictures and it does NOT get 50mpg this car is not perfect but IS mechanically sound and in reasonably good shape.
The 4th oem alloy is not on the car but does come with it. I'm willing to deliver this car a reasonable distance for fuel costs there and back for myself
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Re: 85 terc Reno NV

Post by florykitty »

did she wants to sell those alloy set with no tires?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

What why doesn't it get 55mpg?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Florykitty
She wants to sell the car whole unmounting and then remounting another set of steel wheels will cost money and removes value from the car.
Perhaps we can talk abought it further next week bring the extra set of wheels
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Post by florykitty »

i understand,absolutly no problem,i be there sunday morning till tuesday,hey Dan can i call your place The Tercel Main Headquarter?where all Tercel meets,
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Haha headquarters I think others have more than me.
And i know others have more knowledge Than myself
I'm still in training not a jedi master yet :lol:
noname

Post by noname »

Hello! I live in Vermont and I've been driving a 95 subaru 2.2l legacy, and it's rusting out like crazy... Subarus are a dime a dozen here, but they all rust sooo quickly.
I've got a friend who swears by All-Tracs, and could help me do maintenance and repairs, but they are impossible to find out here.
Is your 85 still available? What kind of motor is that that you replaced the original with? How many miles on it? Is the bondo covering a dent or rust? Is there rust? I'm not too worried about aesthetics, but function and durability..... I also saw this ad http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4333989584.html i thought it might be yours, but it's an 83 not an 85....
p.s. you want to take a road trip to vermont?!? :) it's really beautiful and we'll be overflowing with maple syrup soon!
Thanks!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Vermont that's a long way :shock:
The add on craigslist is another car
The door patch work is a dent west coast cars have very little rust especially high desert Nevada we see very little moisture here.
The motor was replaced with a bench tested used motor compression was above 170 in all 4 cylinders the car has been driven for a year scene the replacement with out issue.
I presume you are aware this car is not an alltrack?

I'm confident the car will make it to Vermont without a problem and be a reliable car if you keep up on the maintenance but i'm not your man for delivery. The cost and time is to high on my end for a car i'm selling for a third party.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like a fun road trip for someone. I would do it later in the spring or early summer. My wife and I are looking for a reason to go to the Northeast. Just depends on what kind of Tercel4wd you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay for a rust free one in good mechanical condition. PM me if you want to works something out. There are often good examples around here with no rust since we do not use salt on the roads.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
noname

Post by noname »

woah man.. now i feel stupid... i didn't realize that there was a difference between the 4wd tercel and an all-trac. just in digging a bit it seems all-trac is always engaged and only came on 88 and later corolla's (as far as wagons go)... whereas the 4wd tercel is normally run in 2wd but switched manually into 4 when needed....? is there a faq about the differences/pros and cons of each somewhere that i can access?
i'm used to the awd of my subaru.. i live in the mountains and there's a lot of salt used here... I do a lot of transitioning from pavement to dirt or snow, and i put on a lot of mileage on dirt roads at 45 mph.. would an all trac be better suited for that? sorry for the newbie ignorance and thanks for all the info you all have compiled/shared!
petros, clearly i don't know exactly what i want yet :) but i would love to know what you can get your hands on... if i can't find a 4wd toyota wagon or 4wd civic, i'll probably be replacing my subaru with another one.. i'm hoping to come up with something solid and reliable for the next 5+ years for $3k or thereabouts... If i spend more than that i'll have less $$ for maintenance.. less than that, and i can put more money into it...
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

If you have 3 grand fly to reno and drive mine home you will have money to spare?
It will last you 3 years easy.
I have not owned an alltrack but the tercel wagons are verry capable cars that will fit the driving you describe.
florykitty
Top Notch Member

Post by florykitty »

The all-trac system on toyotas is not reliable as 4wd system what they use in the Tercel 4wd ,moore sophisticated system and when start not working properly ,will cost you moore then the car probably worth,is just my opinion,i own many cars but i would never buy a toyota all-trac
reeder123
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by reeder123 »

Does it have AC?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Yes it has AC and the compressor works but i have not tried to charge the system
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

noname wrote:woah man.. now i feel stupid... i didn't realize that there was a difference between the 4wd tercel and an all-trac. just in digging a bit it seems all-trac is always engaged and only came on 88 and later corolla's (as far as wagons go)... whereas the 4wd tercel is normally run in 2wd but switched manually into 4 when needed....? is there a faq about the differences/pros and cons of each somewhere that i can access?
i'm used to the awd of my subaru.. i live in the mountains and there's a lot of salt used here... I do a lot of transitioning from pavement to dirt or snow, and i put on a lot of mileage on dirt roads at 45 mph.. would an all trac be better suited for that? sorry for the newbie ignorance and thanks for all the info you all have compiled/shared!
petros, clearly i don't know exactly what i want yet :) but i would love to know what you can get your hands on... if i can't find a 4wd toyota wagon or 4wd civic, i'll probably be replacing my subaru with another one.. i'm hoping to come up with something solid and reliable for the next 5+ years for $3k or thereabouts... If i spend more than that i'll have less $$ for maintenance.. less than that, and i can put more money into it...
corolla all trac wagons (or CAT wagons) were made from 88-92. they are AWD with a push button center diff lock. i've been driving one for several years now and love it. not as cool and quirky or easy to work on as the tercel but it has lots of other benefits: stock vented brake rotors, EFI, more power, and smoother ride, to name a few. there is a forum for CATs but it's considerably smaller than this forum, and i believe it now costs $5 to join (which is nuts, i think). here's the link to that forum.

http://www.alltracwagon.net/forum/