'84 SR5 eBay > INCREDIBLE CONDITION ! 37K MILES! <

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
North of 60

Re: '84 SR5 eBay > INCREDIBLE CONDITION ! 37K MILES! <

Post by North of 60 »

Now up to $6900.00
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

lets see if the buyer actually comes through. Often times the "winner" in an auction is a no-show, and they relist the car.

Does that mean if one was to do a ground up restoration to effectively create a "zero" time Tercel4wd, we could get that much too? Or not?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

petros, i can hear your gears turning. don't do it, it won't be worth the headache. and you'll probably wind up with some non-paying bidder.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Wasn't there somebody here who was going to have his T4wd professionally restored? If so can we get a progress report? He found the exact car his dad owned back in the '80's and he now works for Nissan IIRC.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, that was bryanthompson. i don't remember him saying he was going to restore it, i thought he was just going to fix it up into running condition but am not sure. he hasn't been around for a while now.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:petros, i can hear your gears turning. don't do it, it won't be worth the headache.
I already thought it through, even consider "production lining" several at a time and get good prices on carpet and upholstery kits, etc. I would even consider improving it by installing 4afe engines, up-date to the better brakes, and other improvements (these cars are just too underpowered to do a "factory" restoration). You would have to sell them for about $10,000 to make it worth the effort. I do not think there is that big of a market of refurbished old Tercels, even if you put say a 30,000 mile warranty on the cars. And sooner or later you would run out of Tercel4wd to rebuild. You might sell a few, but that would not be enough to make any significant money for all your efforts.

I had also considered a business taking about 10 year old Camrys and rebuilding them, and convert them to run on hydrogen or propane fuel, and sell them at twice as they are worth to cities and "green" consumers so they can feel good about buying a rebuilt old car that uses alternative fuel, and satisfy their guilt for being born. Save old cars from the scarp yard, and running on hydrogen means zero carbon emission, who would not pay twice as much for saving the planet?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Now it's at $8,600.

Already more than what's listed on an original 84 SR5 receipt from Toyota.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

SynthDesign wrote:Now it's at $8,600.

Already more than what's listed on an original 84 SR5 receipt from Toyota.
This is what happens when multiple parties are fighting over a rare piece of art. It shall be interesting to see where the auction ends at and if the winning bidder actually follows through on the sale. I guess we just have to wait and see.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Cayuse
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Cayuse »

I saw the same auction mentioned in a thread on TGR (tetongravityresearch) so there RE people from far and wide looking at this prize. But looking at the bid history I would guess that the last real bid was at $6800 (bidder actually had several transactions).
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

VARIOUS THOUGHTS...

The eBay Terc...
1. As mentioned, the top bidders as of now ($8600 mark) have little to no feedback - presuming they are legitimate bidders and not some teen in his parents' basement. This happened to me and others selling vintage BMX parts a few years ago. The other possibility is that one (or both) is a friend of the seller's/owner's; harsh, but it happens. Although, this seller seems to have a decent record and his responses to my emails have not been suspect and quite literate.
2. The most important thing for us as a Club has been the staggering number of unique views of this car - as of 1 AM Wed morning, there are 5500! This figure blows me away! This means that 5500 different people now know what these cars look like and their interest may be piqued. Which may mean more interest in obtaining the Wagons and leading to more preservation efforts - and more members for us.
Of course, the value of our cars may be increasing, which would bode well for resale - or bode ill for obtaining cars for us in the future.
3. To the exposure on eBay should be added the exposure on Bring-a-Trailer; this goes world-wide to car guys. I've gotten two emails from HS and collitch friends who are motorheads and knew I have one, and one from a former employee who remembered my '83 and wanted to know if I saw the BaT story.

Petros' Camry Conversions...
From a business standpoint, this would be, alas, eminently more viable than converting old Tercs (or Subie 4WDs, for that matter). The Camry would offer lots more in the way of desirability to the average driver (that's why so many have been sold over the years). They have interior room, acceptable styling (to most peeps-not US, of course!), enough bells and whistles, modern safety features, and fixability at any service location. There are also a zillion in JYs for parts availability, whether sheet metal or upholstery or greasy bits - that's 'cause three zillion have been sold. And - they have the Toyota name.
I think it's a great idea!

T4WD Restoration...
davidlucasbarnes was correct - it was bryanthompson. The last word from him is that it is to go into in dry storage in AZ and he does plan on following through on restoration (in a PM to me). See http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=5882. He's pretty sincere in this; after all, he spent some BIG bucks hauling it from ND (or some other Arctic state down to AZ).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

ARCHINSTL wrote:one (or both) is a friend of the seller's/owner's;
Doubtful since the bids are much higher than necessary and the reserve has been met. If a seller has a friend bid usually it's a competitive bid. I bet the top bidder is just someone playing a joke. This happened to me when I tried to ebay a Jeep Cherokee a few years back. The winning bidder wouldn't respond to me, and the second highest bidder didn't want it. It went badly for me - because I had to move cross country immediately I wound up donating the car thinking I would get a tax credit. As it turned out Massachusettes laws changed 2 months beforehand so I got absolutely nothing for the car. Positive side was that it was worth only about $1500, but still....

I bet whoever gets this car will wind up on our little forum. He/she will become the 'go to' source for our "what did xyz part look like when new?" questions.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Still at $8600 with a day to go. .........AND - 6300 unique hits ! ! ! ! !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

This is just crazy :shock:
260K with no end in sight....
tobiastercel
My tercel:: Earnestly Scouting

Post by tobiastercel »

no kidding emma :roll:

i have been watching it grow but man, never thought it would go as far as it has

i am excited to meet the one who wins it
they must be pretty stoked on t4s
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

tobiastercel wrote:they must be pretty stoked on t4s
that's an understatement. these people bidding must be fanatics, rich eccentrics with nothing better to spend money on, or both. it would be pretty hilarious if whoever bought it just drove it straight into a tree. hilarious in a sad, awful way, that is.