Sun or is it Moon roof ?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Sun or is it Moon roof ?

Post by xirdneh »

I have two Tercels with Sun/Moon roofs (what are they really called?)
i have never opened them
one (1983) was sealed on the out side with silicone but it was not well done having some gaps
i removed the silicone but am hesitant to try to open it (what if it gets stuck or something)

the other is a 1987

between the two the seal is different
i have heard the seal does not seal all the water and that the water that seeps through is caught in a trough and the water runs out a hose
where does that hose terminate?
how hard is it to get the unit out if it goes bad?
looks like ceiling has to be pulled?
i could not find a write up on this, is there one i missed?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Sun or is it Moon roof ?

Post by irowiki »

As far as I can tell, can't see through sunroofs, they just open and close and moonroofs are made out of glass so you can see through them?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i have the same understanding of sun/roofs as irowiki.

've never heard of a hose being used to drain any water that makes it past the seal on moon roofs. a 2wd corolla wagon i bought had a moon roof that leaked so i took it apart and cleaned the sealing surfaces really well. no sign of any hose on that one. it leaked less after the cleaning but still did a bit. i hate sun/moon roofs for just that reason, they're a potential PITA leak source for something i never use (i hate heat and sunlight, i'm like a mushroom).
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I can only help with the lexicon: The sun is "out" every day, so is viewable daily, whereas the moon is "out" for only part of the month, so is not viewable every day.

I had two clogged drains on my '86 626's sunroof and could hear water sloshing around ? ? ? Turned out to be true and I had to take the sunroof out and install a new gasket. Believe me, that was a real PITA! I was able to clear the drains with tedious work using a bent wire coathanger and finally a trimmed bottle brush and then compressed air through a vinyl tube. It held literally gallons, as the entire roof was a gigantic reservoir. The 626, in any event, used two hoses that emptied into the fender wells.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have removed them to fix them. it is not that bad, you gave to get it to open part way and there are screws to allow it to be removed from the track. you do not remove the ceiling except for the trim pieces around the edges. once the screws are removed it lifts out of the hole in the roof. There is nothing to be gained by removing the head liner. I took the tracks apart (had to drill out some rivets) to find out why it would only work part way. fixed the drive adn than cleaned and lubricated it, put it back together with pop-rivets. worked after that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The 2001 Camry I had, has 4 drains that go to each fender.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm not sure if this old website link can help http://web.archive.org/web/200408061601 ... php?goto=0 it's for late 80's celica sunroof issues. I can't seem to get the links to work.

My Tercel 4wd and Corolla 4wd have a very similar system of sunroof (the metal factory example that is)
The motor is above the rear view mirror in the switch.

There must be drains that go inside the A and C pillars I think.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

I remember both my 89 240GL and 86 Audi 4000CS had tubes, I had to service the volvo, it had a manual crank, the crank connects to two spiral threaded cables that wrap around the hatch and thread into a block that guides the hatch back, or forward to a popped/vent position, the gear housing screws had striped out and the cables were out of synch, causing all kinds of whacky things when you tried to use it. Long story short it had two tubes that went down the windshield pillars and two that went down the rear window pillars, trouble with these tubes is that they can become kinked/blockage from leaving the thing open and dirt/leaves other debris gets down them, then as it gets wet and rots/and molds causes the catch pan to fill up with water.
The Audi had no problems but I could clearly see the water tubes in the trunk compartment on either side of the fuel tank.
I guess its something to think about if anyone ever wants to install a sun/moon roof in their car, get a volvo/audi/volkswager (fox) sunroof, they have drain tubes, good luck fishing them through the windshield pillars though ^_^
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="Petros"]I have removed them to fix them. quote]

was there drain hoses in there?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

as I recall yes, there was a gutter around the inside of the opening with drain tubes that go to the A pillars.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

It's a sunroof as for as the Toyota Dealer invoice Calls it.
Our Tercels share the same actual metal upper and lower clam and sub-assemblies as the 83-85 Celicas and Supras.
I infact have an 85 Supra upper clam (the top) and seal set in my 85 SR5 Tercel.
They can be a nightmare to work on but are far less challenging than many other manufacturer's designs.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

I stripped a tercel wagon parts car and removed the ceiling
the sunroof has 4 drain hoses
two at front that run down the "A" posts
two at the back that run down the rear posts
with the back door open the drains terminate at those black vent looking things located about half way up
brfoisel
My tercel:: 1985 sr5 stock

Post by brfoisel »

I pulled my sunroof apart for paint work, it's easy to pull by opening slightly. it does have a manual crank located under the control panel. a factory sunroof will have drain tubes but after 30 years they can clog or crack
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I just pulled a JDM glass one off a wrecked alltrac to replace my rusty metal one and I believe it is the same design as the T4wd. the easiest thing we found was to remove the whole sunroof assembly as it bolts to the inside roof attaching to the seams above the doors. There is some pretty thick caulking to cut through but it has those drains. one had come loose on the car we took it from and was letting water drain on the floor through the front A pillar - remove the headlining and it should be a pretty easy fix.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

how do you get the fabric sliding ceiling panel out without wrecking it?
(closed position and you look up from driver seat) that part
i know it has hooks in forward end but how do you get them loose without damage
i have removed it from parts cars but not without damage