Stalls, Diesels and Hard starts

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

Where do I start.
I just bought a 1984 Tercel Wagon 4WD for 1000.
It has 140000 miles on it and was babied by the previous owner for 50k. however he did not drive it like I do so things are poppiing up

1.) when I have the AC on I stall at stop just after starting the car again. Without AC no stalling. Set Idle to about 1200 rpm to avoid this stall from occuring as soon as I stop hitting the gas.
2.) It deisels on short start stop type trips in the city long hauls the deiseling does not occur.
3.) Again hard starts during city start and stops.

I am a pizza delivery driver so you can understand the start and stop grind this car is experienceing.

I have reviewed the posts here and in other places. I have seen talk about carbon buildup on the valves and how the car runs rich because of this.

I have been putting carberator cleaner in the fuel at each fill up and I am looking into the BG Products for a more intensive clean.

So where do I start? I was originally considering putting in high quality plugs and wires, and possibly distributer, but after all this review. The EGR and the vacuum advance and tubes and such seem to be a better place.

I would like help with creating a plan starting with the easiet and least expensive moving to the oppisite end of the spectrum to work through theses issues. I realize that this could be fixing non-broke items but such is life on a time and money budget.

Thanks in advance for your help
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Use Sea-Foam.

Go to your local NAPA or Autozone. Buy 2 cans of Sea-Foam and 1 or two cans of Deep-Creep.

Drive around for a while on a clean tank of fuel (no carb cleaners)
When near empty, pour in a full can of Sea-Foam
Fill with Midgrade or Premium fuel
Drive around for a while (maybe 10-20 miles)
Stop engine and let cool down partially (you don't want any fires or fire hazards)
Take off air cleaner cover
Start car
At idle, spray Deep Creep down into both barrels (if necessary, manipulate the throttle control on the back of the carb... Don't kill the engine yet)
Spray a good deal, but don't drain the can by any means
If the car DID almost die without manipulating the accelerator, then try to kill it by spraying in Deep Creep.
If not, turn off the engine, then spray a good amount down both barrels. Make sure its all around the walls of the barrels, not just one side or just the center.
Allow to sit for around 20 minutes.
Replace air cleaner and cover.
Drive around with moderate aggression for around 2-5 minutes. (Don't go to donuts or anything, just hard acceleration from stops and higher RPM's, like 3000-4500)
Stop the engine.
Allow to cool partially.
Remove the air cleaner cover and air cleaner.
Spray a GOOD deal of Deep Creep down both barrels. Don't go insane, after all it has to start again, but a good deal is needed.
*The following few steps are actually probably not necessary for you, but you can do them. With these, B-12 Chemtool may be more successful*
You see the vent tubes? They come out over either barrel. Facing up over the primary and down over the secondary.
Plug one with a finger.
Spray down into the other for a few seconds. It may splash back, thats not n issue.
Repeat with the other.
Replace air cleaner and air cleaner cover.
Allow to sit overnight if possible, if not, then for around 1-2 hours.

Once it has sat for a good while, fire her up. She may be flooded, so it may take a bit. When I did the vent-tube spraying, I had to floor it while cranking, then hold it till the RPM's rose a bit.
Drive for the first few minutes fairly hard.
You may notice some horrible exhaust stench and possibly grey or black smoke, but hopefully not blue, as that is oil burning.

After that tank has near been depleted, fill with the other can of Sea-Foam.
Fill again with Premium fuel.

Run through tank then continue as normal.

Other possibilities for your hard starting and dieseling.
You may be running a little lean?
Might be running rich?
Timing might be off?
Vacuum advance might be screwy?
Plugs may be fouled?

Check your spark plugs then tell us what they look like. Try to give us a picture if you can, of all 4 plugs, in order of front to back. A spark plug can tell a thousand words lol. :rolleyes:
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

While spraying I noticed that the barrel on the side oppisite the engine was much darker than the barrel closest to the engine. Is the choke the pivot plate I see at the top of the carb in the same side as the dirty barrel? After spraying about 1/8 of the can into the carb while it was runnning and stalling it a few times I drove another 15 minutes uphill 3k rpms.

I then sprayed quite a bit in and let it sit over night, started this morning like a champ. Just a bit of smoke, OK a lot of smoke. However I am not noticing smoke with the Sea Foam that I have been told to expect.

I sprayed another chunk into the carb this morning after I arrived at work since i was still running on but not dieseling. run-on like a soft idle out diesle like a bucking bronco.

I will spray the rest of the can into the carb tonight and let it set again. need to back into the yard this time so I do not smoke out the house again.

I plan on running the the tank down and buying another can of sea foam for the next tank.

I have heard good things about this line of projects:
<a href='http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html' target='_blank'>http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html</a>
BG 44K® Power Enhancer
BG MI 3000® Plus

Has anyone else used them?
It seems you can not buy them from anyone but mechanics.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I've never seen them anywhere but repair shops. I hear good things, but that you have to be careful due to their power. Just what I've heard. I get runon for about 3 secs after I turn the key off. It just slowly turns itself off instead of just dying. It occasionally diesels.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

That is where I am right now slight runon and occasional diesel. And I wonder if that is the effect of a carberator? Gas is still in the chamber and the manifold and the engine is still spinning unlike fuel injected cars.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Ogedei, can you deliver me a supreme pizza with sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, onions, black olives, no mushrooms or anchovies, etc. with breadsticks and a soda? If you do that, I will be very grateful. I will then figure out what is wrong with your Tercel 4WD. Deal? I live in the 02481 area, just off Weston Rd. I live at 52 Boulder Brook Rd. Where do you live? Or is this deal not possible, because you might live farther away from me? :huh: ;) :lol: :rolleyes: :) :blink:
K-Business
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

I see that you want a works- mushrooms with breadsticks Very cool and generally worth a decent tip.

however I only delever to the 87110 area so I can not help you.

I do appreciate the offer though and would take you up on it if it was a bit more convenient.

However, if you read my other topic about the saga that is my life post tercel purchase you would know that the clutch went tango uniform and you would have to come to it.
2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

Ogedei, you may want ot check the idle mixture on the carb- the screw right behind the EGR diaphragm- passenger side of carb- near base of carb. If the screw is set too open (rich) the vacuum on the carb can slurp gas right off the bowl through the idle circuit and continue to feed gas to the plugs. Also you may want to check you fuel cut-off solenoids (there are 2).
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I wouldn't waste a lot of money on the commercial products....

clean the engine:

<a href='http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... &f=7&t=152' target='_blank'>http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... 7&t=152</a>

clean the carbon and save gas while you drive:

<a href='http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... &f=7&t=359' target='_blank'>http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... 7&t=359</a>

the AC has an idle up solenoid that should increase the idle when it is on....

don't use Bosch plugs in the Tercel...they can cause pinging and runon....NGK V-powers work well...cost less
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

This is probably bad, but I've been running with a 1-Platinum Bosch in cyl #2 and V-Power in all else because I stripped the thread jacket off my 4th V-Power. I did this while running in the Blue (86) Tercel with no issue at all.