Vacuum Check Valve

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Vacuum Check Valve

Post by dlb »

AR, this works well as a vacuum restriction device. it's usually available at any pet store that sells fish tank stuff. i and others here have used these but it obv needs to be kept away from extreme heat.

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aeration ... ries/A1172

here is a pic of the choke breaker A port from a carb that does not use the 'jet' restriction device. you can see it has only a pinhole opening compared to the regular port above it. i have not noticed a trend on which years use it but i believe this carb is from a canadian automatic so that might have something to do with it.

and lastly, i'm afraid i have no spare jet restriction device. i must have used it on the most recent project terc.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

It is a very good idea to have the jet in place, or a very small orifice in the line, to the choke breaker as a backfire is very likely to destroy the diaphragm in the CB w/o some kind of protection. The CB assy's are getting hard to find and very pricy.
Social
My tercel:: AL25 1984 4X4 Wagon -AE86 4AGZE-

Post by Social »

Im chasing a thermostatic vacuum valve are these available still.
AL25 Wagon / AE86 Levin 4agze / Honda CRV.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

these valves, and similar bits used on the vacuum/induction/fuel system, were common to all models that used carburetors, and even some that have fuel injection, so I would think they should be available from the dealer if not aftermarket. if you can find a Toyota part number, or the exact name they are called in the factory service manual, it would be a lot easier to track down.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

social, are you looking for a TVSV? that's what it almost sounds like. that's the little vacuum tree found at the front of the engine on the coolant outlet housing. here's a drawing of one from the factory service manual.

if that's what you're looking for, they are currently only available new from toyota for the steep price of about $100. some members have had success tracking down new ones from asia for cheaper but i checked that route recently and none were available. if you can find a low miles car with one at a wrecker, its TVSV might be good but i have personally never found a used one that passed all the TVSV tests in the FSM.