Terc delight

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Terc delight

Post by ARCHINSTL »

KZ750 - I'm just jealous of your foresight in calling Jasper.

Check this thread and the links therein: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ar+#p24898

OE part numbers for the swaybar bits: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6438
Call around to various Toy dealers, and note the three listed in the thread.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Post by KZ750 »

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to the sway bar yesterday. I'm worried that they're going to be bad. Dang.
I've been looking for a clutch online, other then duralast, can anyone recommend a good clutch? I'll be off roading occasionally and I don't think a duralast or any other house brand can really hold up. whats your guys opinions/recommendations? I've searched on here.

Petros- Have you used the delta camshaft before? I looked at their webpage. that sounds like a fun easy little mod. How noticeable was it? I'll be planning on keeping the original carb, due to harsh low and high temperatures here in reno. Maybe i'll rebuild it once im done with the engine and vacuum stuff.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

do a search on here for reviews of different cams. a few peeps have had differing opinions on a few grinds. some good, some not so good. i know synthdesign said one particular grind really lowered his fuel economy. i think there are a few companies that are doing them, too.

i used a luk clutch in my first terc. it was good. i didn't do any off-roading but i imagine it would hold up fine.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have driven the street 260 grind for about 5 years, and it does help noticeably. and it is mild enough where it does not affect the economy or the idle. It is a great street grind. Synth had used the Schinder cam new billet cam, rough idle and power was much too high rpm to be useful, poor economy as well, he switch back the stock cam.

Most of the after market clutches are decent, I have used duralast, Napa and sachs, all good. you can get a factory type Aisin clutch from rockauto for about $100. The typical OEM clutch lasts about 100k miles, the factory one can last up to 200k miles. so I do not know how you can get better than that, there are a few "performance" clutches for about $400, but I think it is a waste of money. BTW, the Napa clutch uses teh Aisin pressure plate with a Luk friction disk. Price is about the same as the all Aisin parts, but most Napa stores can get it for you same day or next day.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
KZ750
Advanced Member

Post by KZ750 »

Petros- Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll do a delta cam when I get bored with stock. I'm really pushing to get the car back together so I can remove it from a friends garage. I can't believe that the delta is really that cheap. I went ahead and ordered an Aisin clutch from Rockauto. For some reason, I have never ordered from rockauto before. Even though their name comes up everywhere.

I also bought new exhaust parts, front pipe, rear pipe, and a new muffler. I kept it stock, since I'm not able to bend exhaust pipe. I might need to buy a new cat, but usually the only sign of failure that I'm familiar with is a rattle. Also, every piece that I bought said Canada emissions on the description, but I didn't see any U.S. stuff. I think I read that Canada doesn't have catalytic converters. I might have to cut and weld some stuff to fit one. Autozone said they should be fine lol.

I replaced the exaust because it was pocketed all over and swiss cheese like......... I should really check my front sway bar.
Going to the jy to pick up an better condition exhaust manifold.

dlb- I love that sticker in your profile picture. Do I have to be a tercel4wd.com OG to get one?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

thanks man. i got them from synthdesign. i'm pretty sure he still has a bunch. check this thread and send synth a PM.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4192

we do have cat converters up here in canada. that's what our t4s came stock with, or the ones i've worked on.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

My present car the Rocket - was bought with the front end totaly worn out,when I test drove the car it scared the Hell out of me. you could'nt keep it on a 2lane hwy. I trailered it 30 miles home. ended up replacing everything ,struts ,bushing,ball joints, tie rods, ect.Was well worth the work Larry
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Jasper engine

Post by celtglen »

You lucky dawg!

I have called Jasper three times over the last 7 years and they never had any for the 2WD.

The engine looks so good!

Kudos! and Welcome to the board.

CG
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Jasper engine

Post by Petros »

celtglen wrote: I have called Jasper three times over the last 7 years and they never had any for the 2WD.
??? the 2wd engine is identical to the 4wd engine, the car is almost identical from the firewall forward. why would they tell you the 2wd 3ac is different than the 4wd 3ac?

How much are you willing to pay for fresh 3ac?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
KZ750
Advanced Member

Post by KZ750 »

Update,
Ive been playing store tag with Autozone like crazy! I walk in ready for my part/s, dont have it, I leave, get home check my messages on the home phone..... Autozone called and said its ready for pick up minutes after i leave haha. They're all goood guys, just funny to deal with. My fault for ordering a bunch of special order items at the time of all new employees. Finally got my water pump, got sent the wrong cv axel (not Autozones fault), the store received my muffler, and then sent it back for some reason??? Then I was told that my orders have been canceled because they weren't payed for, but they were, so they had to call district and clear that up. So I had to wait another couple days.. I hated working retail, so i understand. plus they know me by name, and they're always really fun, so I can't be too bothered. I'm still waiting on another part anyways from rock auto.

On another note, I got a a hold of a forum member, who was nice enough to give me a 4.1 differential for the price of a new fuel filter. If you've ever met Gottolovem, he's an awesome dude! Really generous! Was even nice enough to example the capabilities of the car!!! DANG!!!! I can not believe how wells these cars do off road! I can not wait to get mine finished. Thanks again!

I got the diff put on, put the new passenger side cv on, grabbed the driver side out of the box........tried to instal it, damaged it a little..and realized that it was the wrong one. Autozone was nice enough to take it back and order me the correct one, even with me damaging it.

I also went to Pick and Pull and picked up a really nice intake and exhaust manifold. I stripped one of the nuts on the original, that holds the down pipe to the exhaust manifold, so I had to cut the down pipe to pull the motor....sucked. I didn't want to try and separate them again...so I bought the intake with it.
Also bought a water pump/thermostat housing, since I could not get the snapped bolts to back out with an extractor set on the original. son b broke two of my extractors.
Got ripped off at the counter, should of only payed $4 for a "thermostat housing" and the lady rung it up as a bracket, $13.....She didn't have to do that....but i guess it was two things in one. sorta.

I'll try and take more pictures as I work.

celtglen- Thank you! and I've been pulling most my exterior engine parts from a 2wd in the yard.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

kz750 that 2wd in the yard right now has the cleanest engine bay i have ever seen in a t4' (t2) i took the carb on half price day it was clearly a bran new reman and the vac lines were all wrong i bet that car went in there because someone couldn't get it to smog. If i were you i would cannibalize anything on that car that you think you need. before they crush it. I know there is four t4s there right now but that is not usually the case there getting scarce here in Reno. I would get the parts myself but well you saw my yard i have ben picking parts for 5 plus years now. let me know if you need to use one of my cars for reference when you install your engine carburetor vac lines are super important and easy to get wrong even with a diagram
KZ750
Advanced Member

Post by KZ750 »

Gottolovem!- I will definitely need to use one of your cars as a reference. I took a video of all the hoses and stuff, but I know it'll be a huge head ache. Yeah seriously! that motor/engine bay was way clean. I have a strong suspicion that the motor is in great condition too. The mechanical fuel pump looked brand new on it too. I found a moving permit in the car from august of this year, so you know it had to be a driver. Good score! I bet the carb was really shinny. Did you get the AAP with it and all for the price of the carb? or did they charge you out for everything? I was considering taking the important parts from the t2 and putting them inside the newer t4 that was new to the yard, just so they'll be there for others, longer. the t2 is definitely on it's way out, cause it's been there since September 23 according to "row52" .

I Picked up the next CV axle today, it was the same wrong one. So I'll send it back and try ordering from somewhere else, not out of spite or anything, I love Autozone, I just think that the part numbers or something are wrong in their system. In short, Autozone 1985+ Tercel CV axle for driver side = no go.

Heres a pic of the new exhaust, minus a catalytic converter
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

How is the cv wrong if there is the wrong number of splines on the shaft STOP.
Do you have the old one compare them.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

I have had same problem with O'Reilly recently one of there cluch pressure plates failed 6 months after I installed it they honored the warranty,But the replacement was the wrong part the guy said it had ben happing allot recently and ordered two more just to be safe. Sure enough only one of the next two had the right cluch in it,all boxes had the same part # And all the new pressure plates were far superior to the one that failed. On the plus side I have known the guy a long time and he let me keep all the pilot and throw out bearings in all the boxes Because he had to send them back as incorrect packaging anyway.
KZ750
Advanced Member

Post by KZ750 »

Haha, sometimes I think it just takes a while for parts houses to get it right. They figured the same thing on my end and ordered the CV twice, I might try it again for a third time, but I'm a little doubtful .

The CV looked very identical, the splines even matched too. But the diameter of the spline was just a little bit bigger when compared to the original. It also came with some burly axle nut, and the metal dust cup was just a little to big and stopped the cv from fully seating in the diff.

I searched the forming for info on priming an oil pump prior to starting a fresh motor. Didn't find much. Can anyone share some knowledge? I don't want to hurt this motor. Something about cranking the motor for a minute will prime it? Thanks guys!