Intake system

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
mrmora
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel Wagon DX

Intake system

Post by mrmora »

I have a 3AC 1.5L 2BL Carb. Is there a good air intake system/kit for the vehicle? I was looking at Deejay1272's photo and saw that (yellow arrow) there is not a hose, is that to help with direct flow? Deejay1272 has a 3A-S engine, would it be possible to do the setup which is on Deejay's, but on my Tercel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Intake system

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That opening is the exit orifice for the tube that brought exhaust manifold-warmed air to the OE aircleaner during warmups in cold weather.
The carb shown is a Weber DGEV 32/36, which is an AM carb - not the OE one.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

like tom mentioned, that's not a stock carb but it can be put on to any 3A engine, regardless if it's a 3AC, 3AL, 3AS, etc. you just need the adaptor kit which can be bought with the carb.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there might be an after market air cleaner assembly from K&N that will fit on the stock carb, but you would have to plug the vac lines that go to it. And as noted above, you would not get the hot air intake system. that is not a problem for driveablity unless you drive around in icing conditions often. The hot air intake system keep the intake air warm and prevents ice from forming in the carb.

If you have a good stock air filter assembly, and disable the hot air system so the butterfly valve is always in the open position, and have the intake tube that goes up to the front, you will get ram air pressure in the intake. that will likely do more for you than the different air cleaner assembly. The design of the intake system and the head on this engine is obsolete, and there is not a lot you can do to improve their performance without major changes. I do not know if the weber improves power, they do not improve economy, and they disable all of the emissions systems (not all of which are bad for economy or performance).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

Petros wrote:there might be an after market air cleaner assembly from K&N that will fit on the stock carb, but you would have to plug the vac lines that go to it. And as noted above, you would not get the hot air intake system. that is not a problem for driveablity unless you drive around in icing conditions often. The hot air intake system keep the intake air warm and prevents ice from forming in the carb.

If you have a good stock air filter assembly, and disable the hot air system so the butterfly valve is always in the open position, and have the intake tube that goes up to the front, you will get ram air pressure in the intake. that will likely do more for you than the different air cleaner assembly. The design of the intake system and the head on this engine is obsolete, and there is not a lot you can do to improve their performance without major changes. I do not know if the weber improves power, they do not improve economy, and they disable all of the emissions systems (not all of which are bad for economy or performance).
I believe KN but KNOW that STP's Air Hog is still available for us..check out rockauto.com. The product is exactly like replacing the airfilter with a FRAM filter paper item. It does improve performance and gasoline mileage..you wash the filter with CLEAR water--let it dry on its own -- and put it back in. Very happy with it..
CG
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

celtglen wrote:you wash the filter with CLEAR water--let it dry on its own -- and put it back in. Very happy with it..
CG
not sure if what you're talking about is the same as the K&N style filters but all the reusable filters i have seen have to sprayed with a cleaner, left to sit for 5 or 10 minutes, get rinsed from the clean side out until the water is clear, left to air dry, and then re-oiled with a light aerosol oil. this last step is crucial since it is the oil that catches the fine dust and grit and keeps it from getting through the larger holes of the these filters.