Fuel Solenoid (which goes where) ???

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Fuel Solenoid (which goes where) ???

Post by xirdneh »

I’m getting ready to install a carb on an ‘87 Tercel and I thought I would re-visit the Fuel Solenoid situation.
There are two Solenoids on the 3A carb. One is for the Primary (firewall side of carb) and one is for the Secondary (drivers side of carb).
One Solenoid has two wires and one Solenoid has one wire.
The problem is, which one goes where?
My 1983 FSM (factory service manual) shows an exploded view of the carb on page FU-6. It shows the “Single wire Solenoid” as the Primary (firewall side of carb) and the “Double wire Solenoid” as the Secondary (drivers side of carb). Pages EC-3 thru EC-5 Vacuum Diagrams also show this.
My 1984-94 Chilton Repair Manual shows three Vacuum Diagrams. Page 4-43 shows the diagram for a Non-Feedback 3AC carb system that does not have an ECU and page 4-44 and 45 show diagrams for systems that have an ECU.
The systems that have an ECU show the Solenoids just the opposite of the 1983 FSM.
FSM “Single wire Primary” “Double wire Secondary”
Chilton “Single wire Secondary” “Double wire Primary”
Note: the Chilton Non-Feedback (no ECU) system is “Single wire Primary” “Double wire Secondary”
I wish I had an ’87 FSM to examine, maybe someone out there can add that info.
This is a bit confusing. I would like to know if there is a way to figure out which way to install the Solenoids by looking at the engine compartment?
I have worked on quite a few Tercels and have seen the Solenoids installed both ways.
I have worked on cars that would not idle correctly until I swapped the Solenoids.
Too bad that Vacuum Diagram sticker under the hood does not include the Solenoids.
By the way, what is non- feedback vs feedback carb?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Fuel Solenoid (which goes where) ???

Post by rer233 »

primary 2 wire, secondary 1 wire. as for feedback vs. non-feedback, feedback setup has an 02 sensor in the exhaust and an ecu mounted above the glovebox- non-feedback has neither. BTW never seen a non-feedback on a gen 2 tercel.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

xirdneh wrote:By the way, what is non- feedback vs feedback carb?
i would guess that the feedback carbs are the ones equipped with the EBCV, or 'carb feedback system,' as shown on page 120 (ec-32) of the online FSM. it's the miniature garbage can-looking thing on the inner fender of the passenger side. i'm not positive but i think another easy way to tell is to look for an O2 sensor, since the EBCV-eqipped tercs are the only ones with O2 sensors (i think).

sorry, i've got nothing on which solenoid goes where.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

rer233 wrote:BTW never seen a non-feedback on a gen 2 tercel.
rich, all the canadian manual trans gen 2 tercs i have worked on are non-feedback. i'm very glad for that because it's the one part of the emission system i don't like.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

dlb- guess all ever worked on are fed versions then- yours don't have O2 sensors?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

the automatics do so i just came across my first feedback system recently. it was a PITA to test and i wasn't even positive that it was within spec but the car drives fine so i didn't worry about it further. the emission package on our manual trans tercs is really simple and straightforward, just how i like it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Mine has the double wire on the driver's side, single wire on the passenger side. Take it with a grain of salt as the poor thing has been abused!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
DiNka
My tercel:: I owna Cortina with a Tercel Engine 3A

Post by DiNka »

irowiki wrote:Image

Mine has the double wire on the driver's side, single wire on the passenger side. Take it with a grain of salt as the poor thing has been abused!
Could you post some more pics of it please ? May be a shot with the engine and the Carb both ? I just have some tubing to figure out on mine..
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

If you're trying to figure out tubing my carb is a bad example as most of the emissions stuff was yanked out!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10201297 ... 0369039105
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k