Weird creaking noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Weird creaking noise

Post by Tercel__jon »

This is really weird and its coming from the passenger side. I want to say its the lower control arm area....but Im not sure. Sometimes when I take off theres a creaking noise...The only thing I can compare it to is the sound of a 4x4 trucks suspension and frame creaking at weird angles offroad. Just a deeper sound. It also makes the noise when Im slowly moving forward and I get on the brakes to stop. Theres this one hill in durham i can play with the clutch and make it make the noise repeatedly by coasting backwards downhill then letting the clutch out to go forward.

I know its gotta be the suspension because it does it weather the car is on, or off, and forwards and backwards.

I THINK it started making this after I finally got the swaybar mounts mounted securely...IE: welded the metal cups to the crossmember. They are only welded temporarily cause one of the holes was stripped out. Im actually still looking for a replacement crossmember. Ive been under there and everything is just as it should be....minus the creaking. Swaybar was BEAUTIFUL when I installed it 6 months ago. Bushings are good all the way around. Maybe the strut mount is creaking? It shouldnt be...

It was really loud on the drive home this weekend loaded with the running gear of a 73 F100 and 1/2 the interior too.

Ive played with it in the driveway and cant get it to make any noise. Its random and it scares me cause I know metal will only bend so many times before it breaks. Im driving my truck till I get this figured out.
john
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 toy tercel 2wd wagon (formerly a 4wd automatic)

Re: Weird creaking noise

Post by john »

I do not know if the strut would make this noise while stopping normally. What you might do see if the strut and coil spring are in good condition, is to press down with both hands on the fender above where the strut is and see if the car bounces excessively. I use this method to see if shocks and struts are worn out. You might check other items like the stiffner plates which help secure the engine to the transmission. There is one on each side. Check the little engine shock absorber and engine mounts, etc. Probably these ideas are wrong, but hey, I tried! Best of luck. john
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

You might also check your diagonal braces behind the crossmember- They're made form tubing that's been flattened and drilled for the bolts to mount them. I had a broken one on the wife's and it created a groaning sound, replaced it and TADA!, no more noise. Just take a look, its a low probability, but I saw it. :D
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Struts are good. Imma check those plates and those diagonal braces. Also the engine and trans mounts.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

soak all the rubber parts in silicone lubricant, see if that stops the noise. It might help you narrow it down. Sometimes a dry strut will squeak, means it would need a new strut. Sometimes the rubber seat where the coil spring rests gets wipped out and it rubs metal to metal, not really a problem, just annoying.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Ditto on the bushes, mine are poly urethane and i have to grease them twice a year of massive creaking occurs! Old dry, cracked and soft bushings will cause tHe creaking! Worn struts usually makes more of a thumping noise!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

When you shoot the silicone to the sway bar-into-control arm area...if the creaking disappears...TIME TO CHECK the ends of the sway bar! Important.
I'd lube the other stuff first, and these bushings last, after driving, to isolate the prob.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Sounds like a plan. Ive pulled and tugged on everything and everything is fine. Engine and trans mounts are good too. Ill grab some of that silicone lube when I pick momma up from work.

I know all about that swaybar ARCHINSTL. I replaced mine 3 years ago. And put in another good one last year.

Idea...welding the brackets would cause lots of heat which would in turn dry out the rubber bushings... right?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

More like burn the rubber parts, don't do it. If the rubber catches fire you will not be able to put it out easy until it burns itself out. If you take the thing apart to weld it that might work. Welding tends to warp parts as well, so you have put the parts in a jig to hold the shape when it is welded.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Its already welded up. I didnt have this noise before we welded the brackets to the front crossmember.

I did some investigating...and I have a feeling I know what it is. The bushings that keep the lower control arm from moving on the sway bar seam to have...shrunk, allowing the lower control arm to rub against the sway bar...and cause that creaking noise.

Had a friend suggest it was the balljoint... possible... but I think the control arm rubbing the sway bar seams more plausible. Whatcha all think?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Usually the sway bar bushing will get brittle and crack, allowing the sway bar end to scrap aginst the lower arm. That is an easy remove/replace. I made some rubber washers to put in with my worn out rubber bushings, worked fine but I will need to replace these bushings sooner or later.

Spraying that with silocone may not help since you would still have metal to metal contact. Best get to it soon since it will damage the sway bar end.

Ball joints can squeak too, usually the boot will be gone and the joint dry and dusty, an inspection will tell you that. You have to remove the strut from the ball joint to feel it by hand to know if it is bad, unless it is so sloppy you can see movement when you put pressure on it in place with a large pry bar.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Im gonna pull it all apart tonight or tomorrow. Its gotta be one of those. Ill definately be cutting up an old tire to make rubber washers for the control arm till I can get some more. Its weird, these were almost brand new when I put em on. Only had em on there for 6k miles or so.

might be a combination of both. We'll see.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

So I found the problem....

The lower control arm bolt had back itself out about 4-5 turns. The creaking noise came from that exact area. Its tightened down again nice and tight.

Driving to danville tomorrow and If its still there Ill let yall know.