Grannie's Lectric car..........

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

12.99 sec at 101mph!! Pretty impressive!!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I tell ya, I would KILL to have an early 70s Datsun sedan, been looking to lay my hands on one of those suckers for a while! damn Minnesota and our lack of cool cars.

That must be a really wierd feeling, to drive around at the track, silently....would be somewhat disconcerting, I would think, taking a while to get used to

I built an electric go-kart as a kid, a motor my dad had from surplus and two half-dead car batteries wired in series to get (almost) the required 12 volts for the motor...all wood frame, a school chair for a seat, a seat belt off an 80s Renault (cousin's dad's) and a rack-and-pinion steering setup designed and built by yours-truly (destined to be an engineer from a very young age) from scrap metal and using rope in place of the "rack and pinion" gears....and an actual 3-spoke steering wheel from a garage sale from a 70s muscle car! (aftermarket)
Oh and a stuffed cow for a hood ornament
In the first design, we had a "gas pedal" and the only switch I could find laying around was one from a vacuum cleaner, you know, push it once, it goes on, push it again, it goes off....so it gets to the point where it needs a human test pilot, so my cousin decides to go first....strap him in, and he presses the pedal...the damn thing shoots down the driveway at Mach-3 and leaves a 15-foot streak of rubber from one of the tires, and he's zigzagging down the road, cuz in his terror he forgot that in order to stop the car, you have to push the "gas pedal" a second time....hehehhehehe
ah the good ole days.

That thing is still leaning against a wall in my mom's shed, behind some crap, I should resurrect it! I could have some fun now that I am "grown up" (heh) and can afford REAL car batteries! or deep cycle, or something.

Actually, a couple years back, I was designing in my head, an electric 4-wheeler that was more go-kart than ATV, THAT'S what I should do.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Adelard of Bath wrote: I tell ya, I would KILL to have an early 70s Datsun sedan, been looking to lay my hands on one of those suckers for a while! damn Minnesota and our lack of cool cars.
Sorta strange how people want old cars they used to think were not all that great at the time...now? I was looking for an old station wagon with the slant 6 engine it it or a Chevy with the straight six. Everything around here is rusted away though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I was thinking about that same thing...and I have a hard time believing that in 20 years, people will be like "SWEET a 1988 Buick Skylark!" or something equally crappy and commonplace and lame. But I always see old magazines, with ads in them from the 60s and stuff, just yesterday I saw a pile of some 60s magazines my dad had, and on the back was an ad for a Mercury I had NEVER heard of but I thought was sweet, just cuz it was old...probably back then, everyone was like "whatever" and it faded into obscurity.
Just like cars now! Heh I should buy a 1992 Geo Metro just to save it for laughs 20 years from now...tee hee
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Few years ago I bought a 1949 Checy pick-up. Restored what was to be done and it was soooo sweeet. I loved that truck... I kept it original, 6 Volt system, split rims, 216 C. I. in-line six (numbers matched)... Ah I miss it...

Guy