Dropping AE86 motor in...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

My friend has a 85 corolla GTS with the 1.6DOHC EFI motor that he is selling for cheap. Could i put this into a tercel 4wd?

I am new to these toyota's, but i noticed the terecl has a longdiutially mounted engine same as the corolla GTS.

Is this a possible swap, or would the 4wd componets not hook up?

Be nice to have FI and 110hp!
-mark
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Whats the engine code? If it is in the "A" family, the tranny will mount up with minimal effort and the engine will drop in with minimal effort. What does it say on it? Ours say 3A-C, thus are in the "A" family. This is another reason you hear so much about 4A-GE swaps. It is in the "A" designation, thus will bolt up to the tranny (and likely shred it if precautions are not taken)
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

85-87 Corolla GTS comes with a rwd variant of the 4age.

unclejemima: Do a search on this forum for 4age and you see lots of discussion that has been done on this topic. There is a fellow in the midst of this swap right now. Make sure to carefully setup the parameters for the search, or you will not get satisfactory results (eg. search messages not titles, make sure to cover all possible dates of posts, etc.).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Cheap? How cheap? You can use the engine and the disc brake rear axle, not to mention the leather steering wheel and shifter knob and front seats.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

Probably about 500bucks CND for the whole car.
I guess the car has only (for a toyota its low) 220,000km, but it has a knock from under the hood. I think its been neglected (long duration between oil changes, ext.) but i listened to it and couldnt tell you exactly what it is. Doesnt burn any oil though!

I think i would rather have the rear discs instead of chewing up the tranny with the 110hp. To bad i couldnt attach the EFI, thats what i really want!

Are these parts seriously that easy to swap? Would the rims swap too? They are stock 14" aluminum.

A SR5 with GTS parts, hmmm, that could be interesting!
-mark
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

If the rims are 4-100 bolt pattern they will fit right up.
I'd say use that axle if you can.
If you have time and a little moolah, just get the internals reworked on the tranny.
What kind of knock. Random knocking, RPM-dependant knockage... What? It might be a thrown rod (man I need a Tylenol) or it could be a rocker smacking the valve cover? Maybe an accessory is fried and is banging inside?
I like leather...

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

unclejemima wrote: Probably about 500bucks CND for the whole car.
I guess the car has only (for a toyota its low) 220,000km, but it has a knock from under the hood. I think its been neglected (long duration between oil changes, ext.) but i listened to it and couldnt tell you exactly what it is. Doesnt burn any oil though!

I think i would rather have the rear discs instead of chewing up the tranny with the 110hp. To bad i couldnt attach the EFI, thats what i really want!

Are these parts seriously that easy to swap? Would the rims swap too? They are stock 14" aluminum.

A SR5 with GTS parts, hmmm, that could be interesting!
-mark
500 is a good price! You can transfer the rear end (should bolt right up), but the diff ratio will not match the ratio in the front diff of the car. This means that you can't use the car in 4wd at all. I've heard rumor that the AE86 in europe did come with the 4.1:1 ratio, which will work if your car is from 85-88 (has 4.1:1 in the front).

It will be easiest for you if you do keep the EFI. The only other option for the 4age is side draft carbs which are really expensive and hard to tune. The engine electrical harness should not be too tough to integrate into the tercel chassis electrical. I believe that the fuel pump apparatus from the AE86 should fit into the tercel tank. Or you can just swap the whole tank. But you will have to upgrade the fuel lines to take the high pressure. EFI is really the only way to go in my opinion.

The rims on the AE86 have a 4x114.3mm bolt pattern, this does not match the tercel 4x100mm. Also, the AE86 rims have a pretty wide offset compared to fwd rims. The tires might hit the fenders even if the rims did bolt up.

Beware of doing this swap if you are not mechanically experience and capable of comming up with custom integrations. It sounds easier than it is. Use the 'search' function in this forum to learn more. This topic has been discussed many times already.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

How can we put in different ratios in the front? I don't know how a FWD diff is setup, assuming it is different from the pumpkins.
Any FWD cars that have the same ratio, slightly longer axles, and will bolt up almost effortlessly?
If we could push the width of the wheelbase in front out maybe an inch or so, we could mount up some bigger rims and tires that could deal with higher power better. If longer axles can't do that, can we find longer wheel bolts to put on, so we could put on a spacer and not compromise the lugs holding power?

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote: How can we put in different ratios in the front? I don't know how a FWD diff is setup, assuming it is different from the pumpkins.
Any FWD cars that have the same ratio, slightly longer axles, and will bolt up almost effortlessly?
If we could push the width of the wheelbase in front out maybe an inch or so, we could mount up some bigger rims and tires that could deal with higher power better. If longer axles can't do that, can we find longer wheel bolts to put on, so we could put on a spacer and not compromise the lugs holding power?
I guess you could mess with the front end if you were trying to upgrade the power handling of the terc drivetrain. Personally I don't think I'd mess with the front. There are lots more parts available for the AE86 rear end and it would be easier to match the rear ratio to the front rather than the other way around.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, if I was feeding 202 hp thru it I wouldn't exactly want my front diff to disintegrate.
So the RX-7 has the same ratio in the rear, better power handling, and disc brakes? AND bolts up? I'd like that if that is the case.
I want to get some 7-wides under the Terc.. I want to be able to fit a 7 inch wide tire in without compromising turn radius and still having the ability to put a narrower tire on during the winter.

20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

Typrus wrote: Well, if I was feeding 202 hp thru it I wouldn't exactly want my front diff to disintegrate.
So the RX-7 has the same ratio in the rear, better power handling, and disc brakes? AND bolts up? I'd like that if that is the case.
I want to get some 7-wides under the Terc.. I want to be able to fit a 7 inch wide tire in without compromising turn radius and still having the ability to put a narrower tire on during the winter.
some rx-7's had the same ratio's. GSL-SE has a 411 in certain rear disc rears. in certain 411's, there is LSD's to be found (i've heard that it's almost all of them but don't quote me on that!)

It is 54" across as is the terc and the corolla rear. The monting is 'similar' and requires some modifacations. Don't forget you need the entire break system from the donor car when you switch to rear discs. The pressures are alot higher and the, hoses, diverter and possibly even the master cyl will have to be changed (depending on age and application).

If you use a non-toyota piece, you will need to make a new driveshaft.

Just a word to the wise!!! Good Luck!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Someone put the bug in my head of popping in a supercharged Subaru boxer 4 turbo and Subaru AWD system... Realism?

warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

500 is a good price! You can transfer the rear end (should bolt right up), but the diff ratio will not match the ratio in the front diff of the car. This means that you can't use the car in 4wd at all. I've heard rumor that the AE86 in europe did come with the 4.1:1 ratio, which will work if your car is from 85-88 (has 4.1:1 in the front).
my 86 gts parts car is 4.3.1 ratio
you can buy from toyota dealer a new pinion gear to change the ratio in the gts to 4.1.1 BUT that gear costs over $500.00 U.S. then have it installed = more money, then possibly have to get a drive shaft to fit = more money. since the tercel is laready great in 4wd I gave up doing the rearend swap.

and the mechanic STILL HAS MY FREAKIN FLYWHEELS...so my swap is still on hold. and i halready have a buyer for my 86 gts...$450.00 with no engine or wiring harness. he wants the LSD rearend, i think.