years tercel4wd's were made?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

What is the first year to the last year tercel 4wd's were made?

I think its 84-88, right? What are the major changes throughout?
-mark
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

This is why I need to write the history section - nobody should have to ask these questions and then wait for the answer, the information should be readily available.

1983 to 1988 were the model years. 85 and 87 model years had changes so there are 3 different versions. In 85 the differential gearing and transmission gear ratios changed along with some other parts in the transmission, the speedometer went up to 180 instead of 140, the inclinometer was dropped in American models that year and interior colour and patterns changed. In 87 there were no mechanical changes but they had composite instead of sealed beam headlights and a different grille in North American models, interior colours changed again, and the 2-tone paint scheme was different.

1988 is a rare year and the Tercel wagon was dropped halfway through when the new Corolla All-Trac wagon came out to replace it.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Hey 3AC...can you VERIFY that there were no changes in the 6-spd transmission from '83 to '84? Also the front diff?

Might have a chance to get one (unknown cond) from an '84.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

Here they change the final ratio from 3.73 to 4.10 in august 1984
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I've looked up all the tranny parts on the catalog and it looks like all the changes were made at the same time, corresponding with the 85 model year and the new ratios.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

was there any other changes in 88, other than it being a rare year?

The inclinometer, can you mount one from a 84 into an 88 without any major pain? Is it built into the dash, and do i even want one?
-mark
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

unclejemima wrote: The inclinometer, can you mount one from a 84 into an 88 without any major pain? Is it built into the dash, and do i even want one?
-mark
Mark, I did a write-up on installing the inclinometer into the later tercel 4wd models. They are cool for looks only for the most part. I never really use mine, but friends always comment on it and it looks neat at night.

My write-up is in the 'repair guides' part of the forum. It think this link will take you there:

<a href='http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... &f=7&t=389' target='_blank'>http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... 7&t=389</a>

If you have any questions, please ask in the above link so other people can see it associated with the topic incase they have the same questions later on.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thanks for the TRANS info.... :)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

GTSSportCoupe wrote: They are cool for looks only for the most part.  I never really use mine, but friends always comment on it and it looks neat at night.
I use mine to try and do better than the guy from France who claims over 30* sideways.....so far....about 22*....but I'm trying.

They are useful to test the traction of tires on hills and so forth. Like my climb up a grass covered 30* slope in EL at 1200 RPM.

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

takza wrote:
GTSSportCoupe wrote: They are cool for looks only for the most part.  I never really use mine, but friends always comment on it and it looks neat at night.
I use mine to try and do better than the guy from France who claims over 30* sideways.....so far....about 22*....but I'm trying.

They are useful to test the traction of tires on hills and so forth. Like my climb up a grass covered 30* slope in EL at 1200 RPM.
Yup those are definite uses. I find however when I am doing really aggressive 4wding I am too busy looking at the road to look over at the inclinometer. However if someone else is in the car, they'll let me know how I'm doing.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Inclinometer is a matter of taste - some love it, some hate it. The car magazines commented on its uselessness while admitting they are nifty looking. Personally I love it for that fact alone. If you don't care about the angle meter function, it would still make a great stock-looking location for oil pressure, temperature, voltage gauges and so on.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

3A-C Power wrote: If you don't care about the angle meter function, it would still make a great stock-looking location for oil pressure, temperature, voltage gauges and so on.
This is true!
-mark
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

regarding the inclometers,you can cut the stop tabs inside the tilt gauge and it will go past 30.lot's of 4runner guys do this for personal entertainment.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!