Member Profiles

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Re: Member Profiles

Post by toughtercel »

AHHH finally Untied Kingdom , I was wondering if there any Tercel 4Wd in your country , are there any Tercel driving on the road. Welcome to the club.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Just because Scotland sort of left, the Kingdom is not yet completely Untied...
Tom M.

P.S. to Barry - Welcome! And the mention of your GF's dogs could be the first line of a joke:
Question - "How many Irish Wolfhounds can fit in a T-Wagon?"
Answer --- "None - unless you have a full-length sunroof."
.....Alternative punchlines are welcomed!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Barry Hamilton
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel 4WD

Post by Barry Hamilton »

There don't seem to be many Tercels on the road over here in UK, and very few in the breakers' yards, too.
I think this fuel (gas) tank's going to be a problem very soon.
Does anyone know whether a fuel tank from another model, perhaps more recent and more readily available, may fit the Tercel?
Barry.
Barry Hamilton
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel 4WD

Post by Barry Hamilton »

By the way - she regularly travelled around with two wolfhounds in the car!
BH :D
artictercel
My tercel:: 85 SR5 Wagon

Post by artictercel »

I was talking to a coworker on day about general car problems when he mentioned that he had a Tercel that he bought in 1984 off the lot in Fairbanks AK that he doesn't drive anymore. Ive always been a Toyota fan and love the simplicity of the Tercel wagon design and think of it as one of the first true sport utility vehicles even more so because of their great gas mileage. I casually asked if he wanted to sell it and he said "I do you one better if you come get it you can have it." So the next day I went over and charged up the battery and started it up and drove it home. That was 3 years ago. She rough. Most everything but the essentials are broken on her. But she been getting me back and forth to work reliably till this fall when the carb started dumping raw gas down the intake so now she sitting in my yard waiting for spring and a brand now weber installation.

Great forum!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks here!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Deaner

Post by Deaner »

<span style='color:blue'>Handle:</span>

Deaner

<span style='color:blue'>Location (City, State/Prov, Country):</span>

Northern New Mexico, USA

<span style='color:blue'>Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):</span>

On the Hunt for a Tercel4wd

<span style='color:blue'>Other cars currently owned:</span>

One orange-and-white '94 Basso bicycle
steen
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 no mods

Post by steen »

Hola All ! I'm another newbie here, my handle is Steen and I live in New Mexico. I'm on my second Tercel wagon, an '86 4WD with a bitchin' sunroof. I love this car, it's at 199,000 and runs like a slightly tired champ. I'm so glad to have found this site and look forward to hearing and seeing my cohorts in action. I'm computer ignorant so I'll apologize now for posting in the wrong place or whatever. Thanks again for being here! Steen
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Handle:
Bluebelles Mom

Cars:
85 SR5 arriving in a week.
06 Miata
05 Subaru Legacy
99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Asst older Miatas, Subarus, and Brit Sports cars.

Just retired and moved in my Motorhome. I am buying the Tercel to tow behind my RV, I wanted the option of selectable 4wd for ski trips.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Welcome Bluebelle and Merry Christmas. It seems we may be kindred spirits - I'm into Miatas (soon to get #3), lived in a motorhome for two winters (in New England?!?), my Terc was towed behind a motorhome (before I got it), and I had an old Triumph back in the day. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures....
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. No immediate adventures planned. Homesteaded for the winter at least while I work the bugs out of the RV. Mainly Generator problems that may be expensive, but need to be sorted out before any 'adventurous' trips.
Couple of minor things to tend to on the tercel...I hope. Was told the only two issues were that the AC and the cruise control seemed to both be inop. Cruise control will likely be a aftermarket??? Not overly concerned with that, if it can't be fixed I can replace it but I do want to get the AC sorted before next summer, at least the heater works apparently.
I plan on doing the standard stuff right away, tune up, fluid change including radiator flush etc. I am not a mechanic but I am an only child and my father liked working on cars so I know which end of a wrench to hold even if I do hate getting greasy.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

As far as the AC...if you can get the compressor to run...you can check for freon at the sight glass...you look for no to few bubbles. If it's low on freon you CAN just apply 12V to the compressor clutch to see if it engages(bypassing the AC controls)....but you could do damage if it's too low on freon or oil or???
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Lucky for me I am getting an 85, so I downloaded the manual available onsite and looked at the AC section. I think anything to do with the AC short of just looking for bubbles in the sight glass and checking fuses/circuit breakers will be beyond my meeger mechanincal skills. So it will probably go to a shop at some point before summer arrives. To be honest I am not even sure about tackleing belt replacement as that is something I have never done. The rest of the immediate stuff I think I can handle, distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, thermostat and radiator flush. I might let Jiffy Lube do the oil, trans and differential stuff as I don't have any idea where I need to go to dump the stuff even if I had a recepticle for it.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

steen wrote:I'm computer ignorant so I'll apologize now for posting in the wrong place or whatever.
Don't sell yourself short, steen, if you found us you must be doing something right! Sorry to neglect you on the welcome front earlier, esp since I used to live in Alby. I so envy you sunroof people that I may sawzall one in myself one day.
Bluebelles Mom wrote:Cruise control will likely be a aftermarket???

If your car has a factory unit I would definitely try to get that working, otherwise aftermarket ones are cheap (circa 100 bucks) and work reasonably well on older cars I've heard. I have an Audiovox aftermarket cruise kit I bought about 10 years ago (still new) and plan to slap 'er on my Terc. I may just do a write up on it even though you prolly can't buy the exact kit anymore, but the principles should be the same.
Bluebelles Mom wrote:I might let Jiffy Lube do the oil, trans and differential stuff as I don't have any idea where I need to go to dump the stuff even if I had a recepticle for it.
Nonsense - do everything yourself. You'll learn a ton, get a great sense of accomplishment, save deaux, make friends, and have something to boast about whilst waltzing about sipping martinis (shaken not stirred) at fashionable dinner parties. We're here to help....
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Not only that, Jiffy Lube is a TERRIBLE place. They hire a lot of tech's that make mistakes and problems can ensue.

Really just do fluids yourself. The hardest part is getting on your back and draining it.