Question regarding VVT-i motor

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Question regarding VVT-i motor

Post by emmahumpfritter »

Hello, fairly new member here. I have an 86 tercel 4wd wagon and an 03 Toyota Echo. I love the tercel for the 4wd and love the Echo for the nearly 50MPG. Any chance someone has researched if the VVT-i will somehow bolt up in the tercels?
260K with no end in sight....
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Question regarding VVT-i motor

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

The engine in an Echo is a 1NZ-FE. it might be a good candidate for a T4wd swap as the ex. manifold is on the right side and the intake is on the left side.

But don't expect a 1NZ-FE in a T4wd to get the kind of mileage as an Echo as the Echo is lighter and much sleeker aerodynamically.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The Echo engine also has the distributor less ignition, so it would be easy to adapt. But I think I examined one before, it is a matter of making it bolt up, and you get the flywheel wheel to match the trans input shaft, etc. If it is not from the same engine series (3a or 4a) it would be luck if it matches, so it would likely be a lot of special parts to be made to make it bolt in and line up properly. It would be much easier I suspect to stick with the 3a or 4a engines. One thing that might be useful would be to adapt a fuel injected 4A engine (4AFE or 4AGE), and use the ECM and ignition set-up from the Echo engine. That way you can get rid of the distributor, and have the more modern EFI controller. Of course you would have to adapt all the correct sensors, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

TDI.... If you're going to do something that is going to require adapter plates, flywheel finagle-ing and soon, just go for a VW TDI. 1Z or AHU would be good. ALH would be good too, just more to futz around with.
90HP and a lot of torque. Watch out for tranny longevity though.
Did I mention it can get 55 mpg in a 96 Passat with the right supporting mods?

That'd be wicked to see....

Though a 7AGE would also be cool.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew