The Car Show (low speeds connections run and hide!)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Typrus;

Yeah, Back to Black is good stuff. I used to use it for a long time before I picked up the Meguiar's Trim Detailer I use now. B2B nicely darkens trim and all, I just prefer the bumpers to shine. T'is all a matter o' preference.

That sucks aboot your interior, but as lollypop put it, your car gets used, so that's bound to happen. I'm sure that my car-cleaning obsessiveness will take a nose-dive when we have kids. For now I tuck my right/left seatbelts into the back seat so that they are the same on both sides and stuff the centre one hidden down into the seat. I probably sound like I need some kind of medication, maybe I shouldn't be sharing that OCD sounding info.. But we're all friends here I spose. :wink:
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You should borrow my car that is painted with house paint for a month or so...it would either kill you or cure you..... :lol:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

Yea all this cleaning talk got me all itchy so I got out there and detailed on my Myrtle today...not that I didnt wanna clean here anyhow but the main reason I did was that a friend who owns a LARGE snowball truck sent my mamma a gallon of Tutti Fruity syrup and some damn how (three kids) it for opened in the very back of my car......through the carpet and down somehow into the spare tire well...it wasnt pretty. Sooooo I took all the screws and plugs outta the carpet and removed it at the carb wash...while wifey was cleaning the wheel well I hung the carpet up on the floor mat rack and soaped the shit outta it with the high pressure soap....let it sit....then came back with the high pressure rinse TWICE ....Man it was clean took all the syrup and all the years of dirt and crap out I mean alllll. the carpet fibers were literaly squeeky clean ......Kinda wet the backin pad on the carpet but I took it home and put my wet/dry vac on it after hanging it for awhile (which did make the water run out the botton) let it sun a hour or so and you wouldnt believe how beautiful it is now.

Maybe some of you fellas have dont such as this before but it was a first for me.

By the way if any of you have any extra of the little plastic plug things that help hold the back carpet in (like a plastic nail with a big head) I sure could use 2 or three

=====Justin=====
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

takza wrote:You should borrow my car that is painted with house paint for a month or so...it would either kill you or cure you..... :lol:
Lol, yeah, think of all the stuff I could get done if I wasn't worried about how my car was reflecting light. The hours I could save!!
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

And the awe we'd never witness... :cry:
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Silver Bullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

Alright here are some photos I've taken of the interior. NOt as clean as your guys' but it's the cleanest I've ever seen her! :D

Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

I'll wait about two months before I take any more pictures of mine for a gallery.

Since the kick panel under the doors is completely rusted away (to the point you can see the rear suspension mount under the rear seats), the front fenders are rusted at minimum an inch away from the wheel arches, the rear door is missing the bottom 1/4 inch due to rus, and my left rear mud flap fell off due to rust, you can imagine it's not exactly photogenic. And the interior isn't much better than the exterior.

Hey, whaddya expect for $100?!?!?

But give me about two months and I'll show you what our little Turtles can do in the snow!! :D Last winter I headed off to work and realised I'd forgotten my smokes at home. Turned around in a field access driveway. The guy behind me in his Chevy S-15 pickup stopped to give me a tow out as I had BURIED the hood in snow!! You shoulda' seen his jaw drop to China when I threw it in 4WD and reversed out of there like I was on a paved road!! :D I drove away with the biggest ear to ear grin you've ever seen!! He was still sitting there shaking his head in amazement when I pulled back into my driveway......
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Re: The Car Show (low speeds connections run and hide!)

Post by Typrus »

I vote "The Car Show" should have some new additions. And I need to find some pics with my interior clean. lol. I want that car back on the road...... sigh...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

haha I just discovered this thread again. you have/had an amazing car there typrus, man. my friend who doesn't have a tercel was freaking out how clean your engine bay is. I might do some pictures since my hood stencil and grille/light rebuild.

here's some pictures: If you have 56k your going to probably cry. the pictures take a little to load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
terkill
Top Notch Member

Post by terkill »

there
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I noticed the board - do you sk8?
Back in the middle '80s to early '90s, my bike shop was the largest sk8 store in STL; we rocked on them. The Powell team even visited doing a video premier in STL in '89 - Hawk, Size (sp?), Barbee, Underhill, and a couple of others whose names I forget.
Hawk is still so well-known, even today that my grandson and his buds' eyes grew large when I mentioned that "Tony" was in my store; their estimation of me climbed a lot.
JFA was another team that visited - they were more of a band that sk8ed than a sk8 group, per se.
We carried as many as 300 decks in stock at all times in the late '80s - and dozens of trucks and hundreds of wheels - and 9 colors of tape, as I recall. And believe it or not, :o I :shock: was quite famous in STL for my custom tape jobs.
Ahh, the good old days...we got into sk8s when BMX died down - they kept the store going.
I marvel at how tiny the wheels are nowadays - and the decks are a lot narrower.
I see on Powell's site that a lot of the old decks are still around - bring back lots of memories... http://powell-peralta.com/products/decks.html
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
terkill
Top Notch Member

Post by terkill »

That's pretty cool to have actually had a connection with tony hawk. Back in 89' Powell was pretty much THE best skateboarding company, I used to swear by them and only ride powell boards when I first got into skateboarding in like 1997.

I remember the old old style wheels, so much more smoother but so much heavier but they would wear a lot faster. I ride 53mm wheels now, back then that was unheard of probably.

I always keep my board with me at all times, you never know! haha
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Lord - 53 mm ? I thought 60mm was small ! 53s would be barely big enough to encapsulate the bearings! Those must be like riding on rocks!
Back then, I think most wheels were 86+ mm. I know we did not carry anything below 7x mm, and darn few of those. As you alluded, the bigger wheels rolled better on rougher surfaces and were more forgiving.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

Hey,
I really like those full width headlights on the '87ish cars. Is it possible to replace my two-part 1983 headlights with the 87's?
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it can be done, but it is not a strait swap. I did it, you need the side marker lights, all the trim and grill, and you will have to cut the wiring connectors and splice them into your wire harness. I love the lights, they throw a lot of light.

The problem is they are hard to find and usually very expensive. I got lucky and found mine at a wrecking yard, and got first pic.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)