Over Charging

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ChrisC
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Over Charging

Post by ChrisC »

My tercel is charging at 14.8v at 1000rpms and at about 17.8v at 2500-3000rpms. With the alternator overcharging like this its the voltage regulator. I see why the regulator could have died since I am running a fairly high powered sound system and play it hard at times. My capacitor has a digital voltage read out on it which helped me figure out what was going on. The TSRM says you can replace the IC Regulator but is it really worth it. Has anyone ever changed an IC Regulator on the alternator? Im curious if i should look for one or just buy a new alternator. If anyone has any insite on my questions it would be appriciated. Thanks guys.

Chris C
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Over Charging

Post by SynthDesign »

I rebuilt an Alternator a few years back. Same thing with the over-charge issue. I only replaced the internal voltage regulator. It only lasted about another 6 months before the brush contact thingies failed. I beleive the cost for a decent re-manned unit was just a bit more than the regulator itself. Plus the re-manned has a warranty... Even better if your pushing watts with a system. Plus what's your time worth.

Just my two cents.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody