Air Conditioning Installation

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ozarksjl
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Wagon Auto

Air Conditioning Installation

Post by ozarksjl »

I am interested in installing an air conditioning system in my 1987 Tercel Wagon 4wd automatic. The vehicle was originally up north and did not come with A/C installed. I'm really interested in what Tecel model years of A/C systems will work in the '87, if wiring was installed at the factory or if I have to do that too, any other info would be appreciated also. Thanks.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: Air Conditioning Installation

Post by Neu »

Your best teaching tool would be going to the junkyard and literally taking the AC apart on one of those cars. Take pictures, be incredibly careful to know where things go. Then buy the AC system, go home and bam.
ozarksjl

Post by ozarksjl »

Neu,
Yes, I was planning on doing that. I was wondering about the wiring though. Were the older Toyotas pre-wired for A/C? The older Nissans/Datsun's were all pre-wired at the factory and the major components were then installed at the dealer.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I would pretty much say this is the case. In Australia at least the AC was dealer installed (I still have the AC service book and stickers with my car that is all filled out by the dealer).
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ozarksjl

Post by ozarksjl »

Mattel,
Good to hear from Australia. I passed up a chance to go to your country in 1991 and have regretted it ever since. Maybe someday.
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

In 1986 I bought a hatchback w/o A/C. Several years later I wanted to install A/C but it was not available from the dealer for that year car. So I ordered an A/C kit for an 87 wagon. It fit perfectly since it was the same kit (just a different application listing). I also removed the A/C from an 84 hatchback and installed it in an 86 wagon with no problems.

So to answer your questions....I believe any of the 83 to 86 hatchbacks and 83 to 87 (or is it 88) wagons A/C set-ups will work. The cars are pre-wired for the installation. The only thing you need to watch for is the A/C compressor and alternator mounting bracket is different for the earlier cars that have the external regulator. Just find a bracket to fit the internal regulator alternator that you have. (You will need to remove your alternator bracket and install a bracket to mount both compressor and alt. A longer alternator drive belt will be needed.) It's a fairly straightforward job.

I have an installation instruction manual on a CD. If you need a copy I can send you one. If you have any other questions let me know. I will be glad to try to answer them.

Chris
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

ozarksjl wrote:Mattel,
Good to hear from Australia. I passed up a chance to go to your country in 1991 and have regretted it ever since. Maybe someday.
at least it's one place to come to where the US dollar is worth a bit :) and we still got good Terc's ready for a bush safari... don't wait for ever!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms