Need a hard to find valve

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
jp.duggan
My tercel:: 1985 4WD Wagon

Need a hard to find valve

Post by jp.duggan »

Two years ago a mechanic broke the thermostatic vacuum switching valve (TVSV) on my 85 4WD wagon w/ MT, and he couldn't find a replacement. I plugged broken ports, and it runs. However, cold starts are difficult in winter, and get some gas smell till warm up. The TVSV is part of the EGR system and cold acceleration system. Any sources would be appreciated.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Need a hard to find valve

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
Re the TVSV - did you do a Search here for it? Lots of info, including the official Toy part number, is available.
The new cost is pretty impressive - it is a dealer-only, OE-only, item. Apart from various 2WD Tercel variants, Corollas (and possibly other models) of the same vintage used the same TVSV, so that should broaden your salvage search somewhat.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Need a hard to find valve

Post by Petros »

this valve controls the vac advance/retard for the distributor. you could by-pass it so it only advances. The vac retard was supposed to lower emissions, but it also affects mpg badly.

or you can get one at a pull-a-part type self-service wrecking yard for only a few $. All carburated tercels and corrollas from the '80's had them.

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)