New guy from Gig Harbor WA with an '83 SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
JB83
My tercel:: 83 SR5 with 85 engine

New guy from Gig Harbor WA with an '83 SR5

Post by JB83 »

Hey, I'm the proud new owner of a "gold" or "copper" or whatever that nutty color is, '83 SR5. The guy who owned it before me gave up on it when it blew a head gasket and he signed it over to the garage to pay off his bill. They sold it to me (Craigslist ad) for $200. It had been sitting under a fir tree in the rain for a year, and the guy obviously wasn't the neatest mechanic out there, so it looked incredibly nasty inside and out, with moss growing on the dirt all over, quite a bit of corrosion and grease under the hood. But the body was mostly straight, very very little rust, good rubber at 90%, all glass good, exhaust a little rusty toward the rear but all there and working, interior dirty but totally intact, electrical all worked, so I said what the heck. I paid my money, towed her home, got her cleaned up. Got a good hood and fender for $100 at a local junkyard on my third phone call. Got a newer motor with supposedly just under 100k miles on it off CL the next day for $300. On a roll! I pulled the old motor, and in there I found an almost new clutch! Yeah baby! Now I've got to figure out how to make the emissions systems match, so I'm reading up on that. Anyway, I'm enjoying the project so far, and I know that with a car this old there will be some major challenges ahead. I plan to take the refurb/remodel all the way if I can keep costs under control. I read every single post in the repair section here, and I owe all you guys a HUGE THANKS for all I've learned on this forum, it's really been a godsend, not to mention fun to read. I have some questions. Not sure what I'll be able to contribute, as most of the posts I read are from guys who know quite a bit more about this than I do, but if I have any bright ideas I'll run 'em up the flagpole. Anyway thanks again for all I've learned from you, and hope to learn. :)
Jim
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: New guy from Gig Harbor WA with an '83 SR5

Post by Mattel »

Don't be shy, we're all mostly all learning I've been here for years and can't even find where the horn is under the bonnet.. any ideas? good luck with your project, good to have you along
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
As Mattel stated - we are all still learning.
Tom M.
P.S. And I do not mean this lightly - Congrats for reading the Repair Guides before asking questions...
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Thanks for joining. Except to have fun while swapping the engines and whatnot.

The biggest challenge for me when swapping, the damn exhaust. I dont know why but that thing was the biggest pain.
m1marty
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4WD 6SPD

Post by m1marty »

Good to see you here Jim. Give me a buzz whenever.
Oh look.......another broken part.