Please help, need a carb for my 87

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
trevmountain
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 4wd, 2 inch exhaust

Please help, need a carb for my 87

Post by trevmountain »

Just found out that Weber doesn't make a conversion kit for 86-87 tercel's and was bumbed to hear this. Is there an aftermarket carb I can get for my 87 terc. Thanks, Trevor
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Please help, need a carb for my 87

Post by keith »

Weber only makes carburetors, they don't make adapters for anyone. But adapters are available for all 3AC and 4AC engines. Here is a link to one complete with electric choke Weber 32/36 DGEV

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Toyota_ ... s_s/41.htm
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

If you have a source for a carb (ebay, craigs list, etc), making an adapter is not that difficult. IT would save you lots of money.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Sorry keith but they are $101 too much. racetep.com is still the place to go looks like.

If you want to make it easy don't mess with making an adapter unless you are or know a machinist. I did not have a mill available to me after I gave up working and didn't want to mess around with another used carb when a whole shiny new weber kit is less than most stock remans. Time or money take your pick. By the time you gather everything from ebay and build,assemble and tune it you could have been enjoying it already.

I'm as cheap as you get when it comes to cars but I have zero regrets about spending more on carbs than I did for the cars they went on. I haven't done the math in a while but my first kit has saved me at least a couple thousand in gas so far.
trevmountain

Post by trevmountain »

So if Weber is telling me that they do not make an adaptor for my 87 terc my next option would be to have an adaptor made by a machinist correct. I'd be willing to do that if it's my only option. Now if the gaskets for the carb are the same on an 85 3AC and my 87 3AC it sounds like it must be a heigth issue maybe. None of these Weber sites have been to helpful so I appreciate you guys giving your 2 cents. If any one has any more ideas let me know.

Thanks, Trevor
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Just cross referenced the last piece of your induction on car-part.com. They show 84-87 carbs to be the same too.

When all the catalogs so far say the same for 84-87 manifolds,carbs,gaskets, I can't see any reason why a K740 woudn't work.

You do have a 4WD terc right? 3rd gen tercels changed drastically but the 4WD's should have carried over their old design.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote:You do have a 4WD terc right? 3rd gen tercels changed drastically but the 4WD's should have carried over their old design.
trevmountain -
Your posting on TN.com states that you have a T4WD - perhaps the problems lie in telling the various vendors that you have an " '87 Tercel " without being specific about the model.
As splatterdog states, the 3rd-Gen, '87-onwards, non-wagons used a different engine and carb.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
trevmountain

Post by trevmountain »

Now we're getting somewhere. Yes I do have the 4wd tercel wagon, this is what I figured it just didn't make sense that the intake manifold would have changed from an 86 4wd to an 87 4wd. Question, what year was the last year of production for the Tercel wagon 4wd? Thanks again for the info yall. Much appreciated, it's really nice to have this site and helpful people involved.

Trevor
trevmountain

Post by trevmountain »

So I just ordered the carb kit from racetep $298. I spoke with one of the tech guys and he said the air cleaner element is the shortest model they have for the kit. I believe he said it measures 1 1/4 so hopefully this will fit. I'm sure I'll have questions through the installation process. Thanks, again

Trevor
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

The short filter will fit. If you retain the plate under the carb as I did, then the filter will rub the underside of the hood. You do not need to retain it though and if you don't, you will have plenty of room. Review the write up in the repair section, it will really help.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2256