And A Few Years Down The Road...

Post here about...well...anything!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

And A Few Years Down The Road...

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote:"...and a key that costs as much as either of my last 2 terc's just to crank the starter! How do you think these cars will be doing when they are 20+ years old?"
This is an interesting comment.
My son-in-law just got a basic 3-series BMW. He inquired as to securing an extra key - it would be $200 ! ! ! He was also told that there is NO way to have a cheapie "emergency" key made for this or any other car with a similar key, because of safeguards built into the key/its recognition system.
Now granted, he is not too concerned about someone 10-15+ years from now being inconvenienced about this - but what about all of the MANY cheaper cars whose eventual less-pecunious owners will face similar situations upon loss or wearing-out of the keys?

Gotta keep telling myself "I have it good with Goldie...I have it good with Goldie..."
"Hear that, baby?"
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: And A Few Years Down The Road...

Post by splatterdog »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Gotta keep telling myself "I have it good with Goldie...I have it good with Goldie..."
"Hear that, baby?"
Tom M.
Yeah, but without navigation,abs,stability control,airbag(s),onstar you could get lost, crash into a ditch and die unnoticed or worse!

BTW, been a while since I had to hit a dictionary. No wonder I didn't know what pecunious meant. haha
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote:"...and die unnoticed or worse! "
Not a chance - I have that device I wear around my neck at all times...you know, the one that broadcasts
" HELP - I've fallen and I can't get up ! "
Tom M.

P.S. JUST kidding about the device - HONEST !
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Post by kamiphloj »

Yeah,but somehow I can imagine there has been a "whirling disease" attack a time or two when you could have used one:-) Bob (I smiled when I said it)
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

splatterdog wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote: Gotta keep telling myself "I have it good with Goldie...I have it good with Goldie..."
"Hear that, baby?"
Tom M.
Yeah, but without navigation,abs,stability control,airbag(s),onstar you could get lost, crash into a ditch and die unnoticed or worse!
BTW, been a while since I had to hit a dictionary. No wonder I didn't know what pecunious meant. haha
Dude, you must not be using your Terc right!! A 4WD Terc get stuck in a ditch? Never heard of it!! ;) That one you got from me went places that big old pickup truck you saw in my driveway wouldn't even DREAM of attempting. I drove it on back country roads covered in a sheet of glare ice at 65mph with no problem. I buried the front end in a snow drift turning around on my street. There was snow up over the top of the front tires. I just slipped it in 4WD and it backed out like the snow wasn't even there. It rolled up (slowly) over curbs that my truck would strain on and any other lowly car (except an AMC Eagle) would leave pieces behind on.

And most of the places I'd need OnStar, they don't get reception anyways. Stability control? Heh, that's what the brake pedal and steering wheel are for!! ABS? slip it in 4WD and keep a good set of Cooper Weathermasters on it and you'll never miss ABS.

Trust me, I just spent the whole day replacing the water pump on my wife's Dodge Neon. I then tried to find the oxygen sensor on my 93 Blazer. Trust me, I was dreaming of having the Terc back. I'd gladly give up 150hp to be able to work on my cars again.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Easy there Mickey_D! You need to turn up your sarcasm meter a little. haha

Haven't stuck a T4WD yet. Your old car also kicked mucho butt this winter on land and lake before it was retired.