Temp gauge q's????

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Temp gauge q's????

Post by keith »

Not getting the right parts from a parts store seems to be quite common with these vehicles, I don't know why, but it seems to extend to all Toyota's. I do think you need a new thermostat, do get it from a dealer, the ones from the parts store cost just as much but don't seem to fit just right.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Question to pantah...
You have a high water temperature warning light? So you must have an automatic transmission?
The USA (and all?) MTs do not have this feature - could have saved my '83 from my Beloved Sister back in '85...
The OM states that it works in conjunction with the AT's temperature - perhaps check in the '85 FSM again on the site?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
pantah
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Post by pantah »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Question to pantah...
You have a high water temperature warning light? So you must have an automatic transmission?
The USA (and all?) MTs do not have this feature - could have saved my '83 from my Beloved Sister back in '85...
The OM states that it works in conjunction with the AT's temperature - perhaps check in the '85 FSM again on the site?
Tom M.
I have an 84 auto trans with a 3AC motor. Last year when I had a bad head gasket the high water temp warning light came on just about the time the temp gauge hit the bottom of the red zone. I don't recall a second light coming on. I don't have an owners manual (wish I had one), but I did check the FSM. Seems like one light for both trans and engine temp?

EDIT - Correct on the single bulb doing double duty. My reference to my B.S. was when she paid -0- attention to the needle on the gauge and cracked the head...
Tom M.
m1marty
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4WD 6SPD

Post by m1marty »

I replaced the T-stat (the old one was not closing all the way) and all is well. I did the radiator cap as well for good measure. Temp guage goes up to just shy of the middle mark and stays there. As a side note- I thought the heater worked well before, now I can't run it very long before it cooks me out of the car! First rig I've ever had that has had a heater this hot.
Oh look.......another broken part.