"EL" switch?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
m1marty
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4WD 6SPD

"EL" switch?

Post by m1marty »

I've done some digging here and on the Autozone site trying to find where this plugs in on the transmission. If it has already been answered, SIA. I crawled under the car for a quick moment today to tighten a heatshield. I noticed that I had a connector hanging by the drivers side of the trans. I couldn't see where it was supposed to plug in and didn't spend much time looking as it had started to rain (gravel drive cold + rain + minor issue = me going insided, lol) Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm going from one end to the other fixing small things like this.
Aaron
Oh look.......another broken part.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: "EL" switch?

Post by takza »

If you are talking about the 4WD light on a manual...there is a switch on the trans. Good chance that plug is it.

Though the '85 FSM shows an EL indicator switch...but I don't think my '83 has one. So where does it light up?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

m1marty

Post by m1marty »

The "4WD" light comes on when shifted into 4WD but, there is also a light that says "EL" on the upper left portion of the dash display that is not lighting up when I shift into EL. Here's a quick (read: poor) pic showing the location on the dash:
m1marty

Post by m1marty »

Ok, so some further digging shows the "EL" switch is on the top of the trans in the same area as the "4WD" switch. I'll be able to get back under there in a day or two and see if it works.
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Mine has always worked, so I don't know where it connects to the transmission...

You know how to put the car into EL, right? You have to have it in 4wd, and then go as if you are shifting into first, but push it over to the left even further, and it will go into a special slot, and then up. It takes a little bit to find it.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
m1marty

Post by m1marty »

brianp wrote:Mine has always worked, so I don't know where it connects to the transmission...

You know how to put the car into EL, right? You have to have it in 4wd, and then go as if you are shifting into first, but push it over to the left even further, and it will go into a special slot, and then up. It takes a little bit to find it.
I do indeed understand how the EL works......I've used it quite a few times so far. :mrgreen:
The switch is on the very top of the trans, almost centered, just forward of the shifter assembly. Typical PNW weather has me a bit reluctant to climb back underneath the car at the moment and investigate further.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I guess mine has never worked. My trans will pop out of EL if I forget and take it out of 4WD without getting out of EL first.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Presuming you are not being tongue-in-cheek (who - takza?)...according to the OM, that is what is supposed to occur.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
m1marty

Post by m1marty »

takza wrote:I guess mine has never worked. My trans will pop out of EL if I forget and take it out of 4WD without getting out of EL first.
Also ASSuming that you're being a bit "tongue in cheek" as was previously posted- mine pops out of EL as well when shifted out of 4WD. To further clarify, I was talking about the switch that turns the EL light on in the dash, not the shifter mechanism itself. :mrgreen:
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Who me? Tongue in cheek? Just can't seem to keep it in there.... :?

I think there been a rap about this before...you can't tell there is an EL light if you've never seen it.

I did find and fix my backup light switch. The inclinometer 4WD light works. The darned switches are in a real easy place to work with?

Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

takza wrote:Who me? Tongue in cheek? Just can't seem to keep it in there.... :?

I think there been a rap about this before...you can't tell there is an EL light if you've never seen it.

I did find and fix my backup light switch. The inclinometer 4WD light works. The darned switches are in a real easy place to work with?

If your inclinometer is stock, you dont have an extra low light.