4alc carb

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
spamalope

4alc carb

Post by spamalope »

Will a 4ac or 4alc carb swap cleanly inplace of the stock 3a carb? The one on the stock 3a has been sitting with gas in it for about 5 years and it's all gummed up, but I can get one from a 4alc for cheap.

Thanks!
'83 Terc 4wd, the Yellow "SRV" (Sasquatch Recon Vehicle)
CASE

Post by CASE »

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... mepage.htm

This guy has compiled lots of great Toyota Data, but he says the site is moving soon-
the specs you need are probably in there, maybe in this part:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... gcodes.htm
-CASE
spamalope

well...

Post by spamalope »

I know the "L" means it's form a fwd/transversely mounted motor. Would there be complications due to it being from a transversely mounted motor? Linkage?

Also, I'm assuming a weber conversion would never pass smog here in cali right?

Thanks, Frank
'83 Terc 4wd, the Yellow "SRV" (Sasquatch Recon Vehicle)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I doubt they are directly interchangeable. I am not familiar with the 4a carb, but even some of the carbs from the different year 3ac are not interchangeable with the other years. There was slight variation on vacuum lines and electrical connections. 4 a is has a completey different induction system, engine has more displacment, different camshaft I would guess, so it is not likely compatible.

It is likely you could get it to work, though you may have to adapt some of the systems, or disable them. I doubt it would meet the letter of the law as far as emissions is CA would go since the laws do not allow any alterations to the system. Though I suspect on cars this old they may be a little less diligent on enforcing the requirements.

When I lived in CA many years ago I know people that took older cars through the emissions check with almost every emission control device disabled or removed. The car oddly passed the exhaust "sniff" test, and visual inspection was the tech lifting the hood, glancing at the engine (and seeing a mass of unidentifiable hoses and connections) with nothing obviously amiss, and passed the visual inspection. These cars are so old that the inspectors do not see them much anymore and are not familiar with the systems.

You might try it, but I doubt it will work optimally on this engine. Good luck.

Peter
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The cam in the 4 and 3 AC are the same. The heads are pretty much identical too.
In fact....

700907 649273 are the 2 appliable 84 3AC carbs... And 86, 88 both are one or the other. The 4ALC is a 649275, and the 4AC is a 700909.
I'm pretty much positive that people have easily swapped out a 4AC crb to a 3AC. Same mounting surface.

Why do you think pretty much everything besides pistons are interchangeable between the 4AC and 3AC? Depending on generation I guess.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew