(sigh) Blue anyone?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

(sigh) Blue anyone?

Post by Typrus »

Well, I think I'm going to have to get rid of my Blue baby. Sucks. Major.

So....

1986 SR5 4wd AL25. Metallic Blue. Paints good except for some minor spots.
Practically no rust visible, except for a few spots (nothing like MickeyD though.. lol)
No engine or trans.
Bent front left mount point for the control arm. Plus the control arm is fried. Along with maybe the swaybar, strut, etc. Remember, it hit a hillside at a healthy speed.
She rolls (or at least should) but doesn't have a trans and thereby no CV's. So no high speeds on the front end.

I need to get some things reassembled.

I have no idea what to ask. The nearly rust-free body makes it worth a fortune, but the whole lack of engine or tranny htin kind of puts a damper on that.

If anyone has thoughts, let me know.

God this sucks... My first car....
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

This really sucks, I know how this feels, I've been through this myself. I believe there might still be an '85-'86 4WD automatic at one of my local junkyards. Would it help if I got you a control arm, the strut, sway bar and other components? The only thing that it was missing was the crossmember. It might not be there anymore though. Just a thought...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My 86 is a Manual.
Man... I'm all sad...

Neighbors are threatening to sue if we don't get rid of some of the non-moving vehicles. Its either sell her to a person who will find a way to get her on the road again, or watch it go to the crusher.

About all I have right now. I'll try to document more later.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Man, I wish there was something I could do to help.

If I hadn't already sold mine, I would've donated it to the cause.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

So are you breaking the law by having YOUR cars that don't run sitting around in YOUR yard ?? I know it's a good thing to keep on good terms with neighbors, but if it's not against the local laws there where you are, typrus, it sounds like to me they need to move to a gated community where BIG BROTHER tells everybody what color to paint their house and what kind of flowers they can plant !! It pisses me off when other people try to run my "business". Find out what your local regulations are......and the tell them to go take a flyin' leap !!
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

One thing you could do is to remove all the smaller useable parts and keep them as spares or for sale on Ebay. I have a couple of cardboard boxes of these type parts from an '84. Never know what you'll need in the future.

Too bad to see another one leave the road...but time waits for no man or car?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

can't afford a lawyer? hire a hitman!
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Is there something deceiving in your pictures. In everyone you've posted that I've seen, there is only one house and its out in the boonies, like mine.

Are you photoshoping out a suburban subdivision?

You must have neighbors who moved in from California or Massachusetts (or maybe Virginia for that matter) and have brought their nosy,
I want to control your life, bureaucratic crap with them.

Do you have to keep the dogs on a leash too?

Sounds like a bunch of ex-hippie, tree hugging John Denver fans.

BTW, I do like John Denver.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Just how bad is the frame bent on your Terc, Typ ?? Is it repairable ?? Lacking an engine and tranny are not all that big of a deal if you can just wait it out 'til you find those things at the junkyard. In the last 4-5mos, we've pulled 2 trannies from Tercel wagons at the local junkyard up in Nashville. Keep looking, and tell your controlling neighbors to take a hike.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Since you have the engine and transmission out, you could straighten the frame yourself. All you need is a bottle jack and some wood. Lay a long piece of 4x4 along the frame on the opposite side, then a bottle jack and 4x4 between that piece and the lower control arm mount. Since this piece is triangular shaped, I doubt it went for or aft, just to the inside, so you can jack it back out. Might need a 6 ton or larger bottle jack.

To determine the distance, find a spot a foot or two behind the lower control arm mount that is the same on both sides of the frame rail. Then measure diagonally from this point to the opposite lower control arm mount. Do this with both lower control arm mounts, then jack the bent one till its measurement matches the good one.

If the control arm mount has a twist, put in a new control arm. Now find a measuring point directly forward of the lower ball joint hole. Again measure both sides, good side for reference. Measure how far the new control arm will have to move. Now put in the old control arm, measure it to know how far it will have to go in order to get the new control arm to line up. Then find a solid point to jack against, use some wood to spread the load and jack away. Over jack a little bit to compensate for spring back. Spring back is usually 2 to 3% on mild steel.

Finalize location by making a cross measurement from the lower ball joint to some point behind and on the opposite body point and to a point directly in front. Both sides should match. A final check would be a cross measurement from the lower ball joint to a point on the opposite backing plate on the opposite rear tire. If both measurements match, you are good to go.

Maybe if your neighbors see you working on it, they will be a little more understanding
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

We hope at least that the right and left sides are more or less the same....usually there are points in the middle to measure from...transfer measurements to the bad side and jack away.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

We live in a neighborhood with a neighborhood association. And therefore we have covenence.
Don't get me started on how its OUR GODDAMN PROPERTY YOU USELESS PIECES OF CRAP WHO SCREAM AT ME FOR GOING 5 OVER THEN GO 50 THROUGH THE STREET WITH THE KIDS OUT PLAYING!!!!!!!! $#$%%%%@#)^(*@)

yeah....... Like I said... 5 acres is NOWHERE near enough.

Did I mention they brougt suit against someone for building a white fence? The guy happens to be rather well off and hired some big-shot attorney. It just goes to show how rediculous it is.

I might try to fix it... It doesn't help the fact that it isn't moving though. And anymore its very hard to convince my folks to spend any money on cars (like not flushing the P/S fluid in her Passat because its $26 for a container, then having to replace the $300 pump PLUS fluid when it went) So getting that hotted up rebuild done might be hard, let alone finding another trans to fit in either it or the Red. Other than that its in decent shape.... Needs new brakes.

thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

your story sounds like mine, except for the neighbor part. a teenager trying to get more money to fix his tercel wagon, at least u have a title :cry: I too live in the boonies, but my neigbors are 2000+ft. away, & they dont care bout my car parked almost all the time. Why cant they just leave you alone, i mean youre working on the car & getting it up & running, & they're still mad.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Reality is- I do not have the ability to fix it. I cannot wait for an engine. I cannot wait for a trans. I have to get rid of it. If someone is willing to come get it, I'm sure the price would not be horrible. Next option? Scrap it and crush it. Don't think thats what I want.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »