My 1985 Tercel 4WD

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jwk77pgf
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

My 1985 Tercel 4WD

Post by jwk77pgf »

I bought my 85 tercel 4WD about 6 years ago at an auction for $500. Ran pretty good, but didn't drive worth a crap. Replaced rear end and clutch and it drove good for a few years. Then came the axles, another clutch, transmission replacement, and some other stuff....never had to do any engine work EVER, except for a timing belt. The axles were a bitch though, went through 5 sets of re-man axles from different companies and they all went bad every 1500 miles. Finally went with a set of new toyota factory axles, and let me tell you, $950 for the set, but they did the trick, 60,000 miles with no problems!! That was 3 years ago and now I'm trying to replace them in my second tercel and they are going for $1250 a set now, AAAAHHHHHH! Anyone know where I can get new toyota axles a little cheaper than $1250??? Also how do I post pics directly on the Gallery Forum?? Anyhow, here are some pics of my tercel, currently at 267K miles, via web link: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwk77pgf/album?.dir=52f8&
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

http://www.toyotadiscountparts.com/

or the place in the NW?

I've replaced 2 axles...the 1st still makes clicking noises in a hard turn at slow speeds...the other hasn't had a problem that I know of.

I'd try AdvanceAP or the equiv out there and go for their best axle...or the same with NAPA.

I could buy a whole T4WD for what you are talking about for a pair of axles.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

jwk77pgf

Post by jwk77pgf »

I've tried napa with the same problem, but thanks, I'll check out the other place you mentioned.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

jwk77pgf wrote:I've tried napa with the same problem, but thanks, I'll check out the other place you mentioned.
I've actually replaced one of my axles 4 times on warranty from Napa now. In fact, I've just started ignoring the knocking sound. I've given up! Guess I could try a brand new Toyota one, but don't feel like putting out that much $$. I'll just turn up the stereo and won't know the difference! :D
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

AdvanceAP still has some Cardone axles.....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

Mine clicks on hard rights... and I ignore it :)

I'm thinking that i'll just go to the junker and find some that look nice :)

- R
I love my tercel :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you could find a lower mileage set of OEM...got it made.... :shock:

brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

I had my CV axles replaced in late July of last year, and I have never heard a clicking sound from them. Unfortunately, the invoice doesn't say where the shop got the axles from, just a part number (60-5001 and 60-5002 if you want to know). Sorry I can't help any more than that. :)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

brianp wrote:I had my CV axles replaced in late July of last year, and I have never heard a clicking sound from them. Unfortunately, the invoice doesn't say where the shop got the axles from, just a part number (60-5001 and 60-5002 if you want to know). Sorry I can't help any more than that. :)
Those numbers are the Advance AP numbers for A-1 Cardone axles (possibly Cardone's numbers as well). The Advance online prices are $160 the pair, although sometimes the in-store price is less.
Incidentally, how many miles have you put on the car since replacement? I'm saving for these same axles (a big expense, as I'm gonna do all tierods and struts+ at the same time-seems expedient).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The one Cardone axle I have is the one that doesn't click.

ARCHINSTL...better get them while they're hot? Cardone out of business?

brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
brianp wrote:I had my CV axles replaced in late July of last year, and I have never heard a clicking sound from them. Unfortunately, the invoice doesn't say where the shop got the axles from, just a part number (60-5001 and 60-5002 if you want to know). Sorry I can't help any more than that. :)
Those numbers are the Advance AP numbers for A-1 Cardone axles (possibly Cardone's numbers as well). The Advance online prices are $160 the pair, although sometimes the in-store price is less.
Incidentally, how many miles have you put on the car since replacement? I'm saving for these same axles (a big expense, as I'm gonna do all tierods and struts+ at the same time-seems expedient).
Tom M.
I've put 19,800 miles on since the axles were changed out. :)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

takza wrote:The one Cardone axle I have is the one that doesn't click.

ARCHINSTL...better get them while they're hot? Cardone out of business?
Cardine is the remanufacturer of the distributor I recently got from Advance. I had occasion to email it when asking a couple of questions. This was just a month ago, so I would say it is still in business.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jwk77pgf

Post by jwk77pgf »

maybe I'll try those axles. I hate to spen another grand or so on new toyota axles...geez! Anyhow, 20,000 miles is better thatn the 1500 miles I got on my other re-man axles.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon 311,000 miles
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My CV's are wonderful. They were pieced together by some place that used to exist in Boulder. I don't know much other than they were not store-bought and they've lasted for something like 40k now. We've only had the car for 20K or so, but the last people told us about it, briefly. I have no clicks, at least not yet.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew