Been a long time!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Juando
Advanced Member

Been a long time!

Post by Juando »

Hey all! I have been without a computer for a few months and been very busy, but I thought I would say hi. I have been having some issues with the tercel, but I am not sure when i am going to fix it (Stuck in 4WD) but I have a new car in the meantime...an 86 MR2. Can't haul anything in it, but you can haul in it. I have been waiting for years to take it off my dads hands and he finally decided that he was willing to sell it.

I will try to post some current pics of the woody wagon sometime soon.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Good to see you're back-
I had wondered what happened to Einstein's advocate.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Been a long time!

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Juando wrote:Hey all! I have been without a computer for a few months and been very busy, but I thought I would say hi. I have been having some issues with the tercel, but I am not sure when i am going to fix it (Stuck in 4WD) but I have a new car in the meantime...an 86 MR2. Can't haul anything in it, but you can haul in it. I have been waiting for years to take it off my dads hands and he finally decided that he was willing to sell it.

I will try to post some current pics of the woody wagon sometime soon.
Good to have you back! Hope you get the terc back on the road soon. I actually just bought an MR2 down in Oregon when I was there. It's an 87, and actually lived part of its life in Eugene.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
zipty842

Post by zipty842 »

keep the mr2s alive! ive got an 85 at my dads house on the coast (waldport) awaiting a new engine. key to driving an mr2 is just to know your limit and dont drive over your head :D
1986 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 MR2
1983 Celica GT-S
1993 Toyota 2WD pickup "HILUX GT"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

(shakes fist angrily at all of you)
I hate being poor... Seen 5 MKI MR2's in fair condition go through my area... Just no money...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

I am really excited for the MR2 because I know it's entire history from the moment it rolled of the sales lot, and my father babied the hell out of it. no dents, very fresh paint, a couple minor boo-boo's but they were fixed at a very good body shop within days of each occurance, always been garaged (though I don't have a garage for it..I am going to get a car cover for it and be religious about keeping it covered if it is not being driven) it has about 180,000 all highway miles (he lives 28 miles from work) and it has only been driven 60 miles since june 2004, mainly because he has a back injury that hurts sitting so low in the car. He decided that it's not good to have the car sit, not being drivn, so he is selling it to me for $3200...he was offered $4500 cash from a co-worker, but he wants to keep it in the family/still be able to borrow it every so often. You have no idea how excited I am. I was thinking about swapping the 4A-GE with either a 4A-GZE or maybe even a later 5SFE...way down the road though..like next year. I will keep you all posted on the terc and the mr-deuce.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
zipty842

Post by zipty842 »

your're the first person other than me that i've heard refer to a mr2 as "mr. deuce" id get that as my license plate if we were'nt limited to 6 letters
1986 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 MR2
1983 Celica GT-S
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

if you go to http://www.mr2oc.com you will see mr deuce a bit more. I want a plate that says "EMARTO"

zipty842

Post by zipty842 »

ive been a member of mr2oc for a few years now, but its been a while since ive visited.
1986 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 MR2
1983 Celica GT-S
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I inhereted a 91 MKII deuce during my dee-vorce. It was a 5spd NA hardtop. That car was an awful lot of fun to drive. Not very practical for a full-time single dad like me, though. The contract (at least for the SW20) was sold to Yamaha and all the MKIIs were virtually hand built in the Yamaha factory in Japan. That car was still strong after 150K. I traded it in on my Jeep.....I know the kid that bought it from the dealer I traded it to, and he still drives that thing all over the place.

Interesting aside, Lotus was working on a 2seater concept car in the early 80's. The project was "scrapped" and a bunch of the engineers left Lotus and went to Toyota. Shortly (very shortly) after, the MK1 AW11 MR2 was born. MR2 officially stands for Mid-engine, Runabout, 2 seater. Compare the new Lotus Elise and the MKII SW20 body style......
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

here is a god writeup on the mk1 history and everything else....

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Mkifaq.htm