Step away from the Bong ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Step away from the Bong ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Post by Lollypop »

WARNING: RAMBLE AHEAD

Well as some of you already know I have known that my clutch was on the way out. Well it's out as of the other day. I was trying to make up my mind before wether to do it myself (which I am capable of....besides I dont wanna get dirty) or take it to a mechanic and pay him to do it quicker than I could so I can have Myrtle back on/off road as soon as possible.

Well Im in South Mississippi where Katrina flooded everybody so there is only one trans mechanic in town. I go by to get a price and heres what he told me after asking me lots of questions about my car that a fella who does this for a living and has put a clutch in this model car should already know.

Well I talked to the other two mechanics and best we can remember this is a real booger of a job so if we do it the price will be around $850-$900.

HE'S ON CRACK

I personally was figuring on 3-400 maybe 5-600 at the yoda place and he comes out with 900 bucks. True enough you guys say it can be a pain to do sometimes but its hard for me to believe that its $900 worth of hard for a guy who has a lift, trans jack, air tools and the like. Hell for that much cash I'll do it myself.

I'm gonna call around Mobile, Alabama which is a metro area 30 miles down the road and see what some of those shops say after I check in the morning with my local yoda dealer.

O.K the ramble is over now that I have it off my chest

-----Justin-----
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

sounds like he dosn't want to do it, rather than say "no, that car is a bitch to change the clutch on" its easier to say "$900!" because most likeley you won't get him to do it, and if you do, he makes a butload of cash, so even though its a PITA for him to change, the money makes it worthwhile.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

either way he can kiss me ....well you know

I figured the same thing but I'm not sure its because its a pain but more because he has never done one and hes "skeered" of it

-----Justin-----
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD