EGR valve funk

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
CMB
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Sr5 5spd

EGR valve funk

Post by CMB »

I found a small vacuum leak at the EGR valve/intake manifold using the carb cleaner technique. So i went to replace the gasket and this is what I found in the EGR valve:
IMG_4812.JPG
The black stuff was hard packed and solid filling the entire opening of the EGR about 3/4" into the opening. Surprisingly vacuum applied to the diaphragm would operate the valve, so while no exhaust gas had been circulating into the intake, there was at least hope for cleaning it up. I chiseled the black nasty out of there, and soaked in carb cleaner. It cleaned up alright and past the blow test. So I reinstalled with a new gasket. seems to operate normally, though I have not played with it too much yet. I am glad I bought two of the gaskets from Toyota, as I have a feeling i will have to search a junkyard sooner than later for this EGR valve. At least it is relatively easy to replace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: EGR valve funk

Post by Petros »

mine looked like that, I just left it. Putting exhaust gas into the intake reduce performance and economy, it is part of the emission control system. Exhaust gases lower peak pressures and temp in combustion, which is why it harms economy but helps with emissions.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CMB
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Sr5 5spd

Post by CMB »

I thought about leaving it, but I will have to get it registered in Multnomah county, OR come october, and that means DEQ testing. So I figured now or then. I have thought about fabrication a block plate fro the intake side and the exhaust side of things, so that the EGR system could be removed and or installed depending on needs...but alas, I don't have much in the way of tools for fab'n right now.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain