88 Wagon SR5 4WD (SOLD)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
eskimo
My tercel:: 1988

88 Wagon SR5 4WD (SOLD)

Post by eskimo »

(Welcome the new owner to the community, he'll be logging on shortly!) Wagon 4WD with the SR5 package. 132,000 mi., no rust, garaged all it's life until recently(3mo.) Very little wear on the interior and no rips. 4WD and everything else works well. Great in the snow. Asking $2,800 OBO Call Quinn @ (314)323-6048
Attachments
Tercel4WD 015.jpg
Tercel4WD 010.jpg
Tercel4WD 008.jpg
Tercel4WD 006.jpg
Tercel4WD 007.jpg
Last edited by eskimo on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 88 Wagon SR5 4WD

Post by Petros »

Wow, nice looking Tercel4wd. Looks like the front grill was replaced. The '87/88 should have had the composite head lights, the seat patter also looks like a '86 (and the head lights). Are you sure about the year?

Are you in St. Louis? We have another St. Louis list member.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
eskimo

Post by eskimo »

It's definitely an 88. Here's the history.
The car was purchased originally in 88 by a little old lady... she soon found herself unable to drive and put it in storage. Her son sold it out of storage to my best friend in St. Louis (Dennis) He drove it for several years and then on a snowy day came upon a pileup on the freeway. Just before he was able to make it to a complete stop he rested it under the trailer of a Semi. It broke the windshield, dented the hood and broke one of the composite headlights. It sat in his garage, he would neither get around to fixing it nor could any of his friends prise it from his greedy fingers.
He finally decided to sell his house. I helped him get it market ready and the realtor said no Tercel 4WD in the garage when it hits the market. Dennis recently married, had a child on the way and purchased a fixer house. I got the car:) I tried for months to find another composite headlight, it was worse than looking for old VW bus stuff! So... I converted the lights and grill over to the older style which I think will be a long range benefit since that stuff is readily available. I have a drivers side genuine '88 composite headlight with trim bezel and corner light that I would be happy to sell or trade for something... very valuable:)
Quinn (in St. Louis)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It looks nice, the sedan syle trim and headlights looks better than those sealed beam headlights with the parking lights along side the headlight that came on the '83-86 Tercel4wd. I know those composite headlights are tough to find, I converted my '84 to that type, and than a rock promply broke one of them, it took over a year to find one in a local wrecking yard.

Since I switched my grill over to the '87 I have a spare 4wd style grill that should fit those headlights, it is the '84 style, but it has the 4wd emblem on it. If you want it for this car, or for who ever buys it. Just PM me off this list.

Good luck selling it.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Here are pix of the car from back in October of 2009 from a thread I started.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4885
Looks like you did some nice work, Quinn. Is that the red hood that Dennis had?
I note the new windshield - what was the StL source and price? It appears that the surround was also replaced - it looks like plain rubber - was the metal exterior surround retained?
I see the house finally sold this past May; loved that garage!
Quinn - this may be redundant, but - be sure to tell the purchaser about our Club!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Tom,
The hood was a pristine one from my parts car which now has Dennis's old red one on it. The windshield trim is all factory Toyota. My parts car is missing the grill and lights but the rest is intact. It has a good engine, radiator and carb./can hear it run. I'll post that for sale after I sell the car as the new owner gets first dibs on the parts car stuff. Also the 88 Tercel for sale comes with spare NEW CV joint and NEW Rear Shocks. Car doesn't need these items now but when it does you'll have them.
Cheers,
Quinn
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Quinn -
Does the '88 have a new windshield? If so, what was the sourcing and price?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

since you replace the engine hood , did you peel the emmission decal from 88 hood and place it to new hood , their "88" emmssion are different than 83-87 model .
eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Tom,
I got the windshield at Auto Glass Xpress, 9530 Gravois Rd. 63123, Phone (314)352-0049. I believe it was the last piece they had in stock but it seems if you're willing to wait there are a few windshields left in the country which can be shipped to St. Louis. I think I payed $140 or $160.
ToughTercel,
Unfortunately I didn't get the original hood from my friend and so don't have the '88 underhood emission's sticker. If it is crucial for licensure in your state I will endeavor to track one down or fabricate/duplicate a replacement. The car does come with both the Haynes manual and Chilton. I believe those two are one and the same now, but the two I have seem to give complementary information.
New Parts On The Car-
Oil and filter just changed, antifreeze changed and brand new radiator, new wiper blades all around, new in-line fuel filter, in-tank fuel filter removed, cleaned and reintalled and new windshield.
Any other questions let me know,
Thanks,
Quinn
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

this is an exciting thread!

do the composite headlights from the hatchback and coupe tercels from '87 into the early 90's fit our cars? i wondered about this the other day because there are tons of those around.
eskimo

Post by eskimo »

The VIN on my 88 Tercel is JT2AL35W6J0302980, forgot to mention that earlier.
davidlucasbarnes,
no :evil: the 87 up regular sedan lights don't cross over. I know- as I optimisticly pulled some from a yard, only to find they were close but not quite... and then went on a mental rant about lack of standardization, thought of the possibility of sheetmetal modification/ fabrication, and then dropped the whole idea. If anyone has had a different experience fitting 87 up sedan lights on our cars please prove me wrong.
Quinn
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:this is an exciting thread!

do the composite headlights from the hatchback and coupe tercels from '87 into the early 90's fit our cars? i wondered about this the other day because there are tons of those around.
1987 and newer ( hatchback / coupe )are completly different , it a third generation model , 0nly S.W. continue till Dec 87 or Jan 88 , that my guess .
Last edited by toughtercel on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 88 Wagon SR5 4WD (SOLD)

Post by Petros »

I was going to try and adapt the later 3rd gen head lights to the Tercel4wd wagon, but it will take some cutting and drilling. It can be made to work, but it will take some skill and special fabricating to make it look like it belongs there. My only thought was these are far more common in North America than the '87 T4wd composite head lights.

I did find a set of '87 composites in the wrecking yard, so I did not have to do the custom conversion. But I may try it someday just to get a different look, I actually like the '83-86 style grill and the side marker lights (more common too), so there might be some benefit to finding some later style head lights that can work on the earlier grill and side marker lights. I have a set of composite lights from an FX in my garage just for such an experiment some day.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

did a board member pick this up??

edit: never mind, just read the info at the top. i thought you might have been starting your fleet, tom.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I just received an email from Quinn - someone from IL bought it. He told him about the Club, so we'll see.
While I did not see the finished product, I know what he started with - I'm jealous. Dunno if $2800 realized or not, though.
He will be putting info up on the '83 sedan parts car.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain