'84 SR5 w/4ac engine $2200 Everett WA

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

'84 SR5 w/4ac engine $2200 Everett WA

Post by Petros »

Just showed up on CL Seattle. A Real clean looking '84 nearby me, premium price too. Go look at the pictures, real impressive looking.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2115064036.html

Text of ad:

I have owned this awesome 4x4 Tercel for several years, and it has been my baby. NOT ONCE did it ever leave me stranded. Regardless of the weather, cold or hot, I have always felt confident and comfortable. In the last 1.5 years, I have upgraded the 3A 1.5 liter engine to a Corolla SR5 4AC 1.6 liter. The car has a good deal of more power! And Runs like a top. It has a 6 speed manual transmission with a granny low first gear. It has a 50/50 split center locking diff from the inside. All you have to do to put her in 4WD is pull the lever! While driving, while stopped, while backing, while on the freeway, etc! You can engage it into 4wd on the fly and go back to 2wd! Its super easy to drive, and very fun. It has power steering, so steering is not difficult, and its primary FWD, so it will be easy to control when it’s in 2wd. everything works on it!!! It has A/C that blows super cold and works great! It has an inclinometer that shows you the angles at which you are at. It has a 2” tow ball on the back, and wiring. I tow my utility trailer behind it with no problems accelerating or stopping. When I installed the engine, it also got a brand new clutch and clutch cable. It’s not super quiet, but not super loud either; it has a mild growl that actually sounds pretty good! New water pump, wheel bearings, etc. I have a folder full of receipts and warranties for a lot of the work that has been done. It’s a very rare color scheme; I have only seen one other one that was factory ordered two tone gold and brown. Ive got a clear title, in hand, never been wrecked or repainted. Brand new PPG windshield, It is on 14” wheels with taller tires to get extra ground clearance for off-road or snow. She will go through anything! And handles better in the snow than any 4wd car I have ever driven. I will miss her, but I have to sell because I have too many toys :( I am also including $350 worth of BMW off-road package floor and trunk liners! That way you can keep the inside of it clean regardless of what Mother Nature brings on your path. I’m asking $2200 OBO. If you are interested, feel free to text me, call me, or email me. My number is 206-276-four-six-eight-eight. Thanks for looking! Eddie.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tsteph12

Re: '84 SR5 w/4ac engine $2200 Everett WA

Post by tsteph12 »

Hello,

Thank you for the post. I have been looking for a clean Tercel 4WD wagon for some time and have left the owner a message requesting a call back to discuss. I live in CA and would therefore need to have it pass smog to register. Do you have similar smog testing requirements in WA for an '84 vehicle? Hopefully all emmision items are intact with replaced engine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tom
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

What a beauty! $2200 is pricey, but perhaps worth it for those who don't want to put a whole lot of time/effort into overhauling/reconditioning something that is in more "typical" condition.

As for me - I just like to drool over the photos:) Thanks for posting.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes, Washington state for the high density population areas (including Everett) must pass emissions inspections every two years to get it registured, until they are 25 years old. So this one did pass Emissions within the last two years. Now it would be exempt.

you might have another issue, this has the 4ac engine, which as I understand current CA emissions laws would not be legal (no matter that these are the same engine except 100cc displacement different). However, the engine is identical on the outside, so all you have to do is switch to the valve cover with the 3ac sticker on it. I would be surprised if anyone at a testing station is old enough and smart enough to know where to look on the outside of the engine to know it is not a 3ac.

So I would not anticipate any issues.

If you are going to come look at it I will be happy to go with you, you can even spend a night with us (we have a guest room for you to say in). IT is always fun to meet other list members, and Tercel4wd enthusiasts.
tsteph12

Post by tsteph12 »

Thank you for the advice and thoughtful offer. You mentioned that the 4ac engine replacement currently in vehicle would not be CA emmisions legal. I do not understand why simply changing the engine sticker would matter as long as it passed emmisions testing. Would a 4 AC be failed simply on the visual inspection?

Tom
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Tercel4wdrules would be the expert on current CA emissions laws, he lives in the LA basin, which might be even more strict than elsewhere in the state.

When I lived there you could swap engines as long as all the emissions equipment from the original car is installed in the new car. You could even take an older engine and put it in a newer car, and put a newer engine and put in an older car, you just had to keep the emissions equipment that came with the original installation of that engine.

But now I believe you have to keep all the specifications and emissions equipment that originally came in that car, and it must pass the current emissions standards. The state will even buy the car from you if it does not pass, getting the pollution generating car off the road. They have exceptions for classic cars, but you are limited on the number of miles you can drive it (to and from cars shows or rallies, something like 1000 miles a year).

The practical matter is they do a visual inspection of the outside of the engine, verify that all the external emissions equipment is present, all the hoses are connected, and than test the engine emissions at two load levels. If you pass them all you get to register your car. I think if the car is running well, and all the equipment is working properly, you will likely pass okay. You could still spend a lot of money replacing the cat and EGR valve, sensors, etc. But you should be able to make the 4ac engine pass okay.

If not you have to do some repairs and if it still does not pass the state will buy the car from you to crush it. Some people even buy old cars to just make a profit off the state with this program (there are some limits on this program, so I do not know how this would work for out of state cars).
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Add 4wdchico to the CA list, too. I think he took the emissions tech test (or was one) at some point - right?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I hate the way California does things in terms of what it allows in the way of modifications and emissions compliance. I researched a few things last night and came across something interesting. After an exhaustive research through the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair), I came across the VLT (Vehicle Lookup Table) that lists the engine displacement and the emissions cut-off for the ASM (Acceleration Simulation Mode) test. This is the test that California uses in the enhanced test areas of the state that have the most pollution, and for this test the car is put on a dynamometer, where the engine is under a load to measure the Nitric Oxide (NO) emissions the car is emitting along with HC (ppm) and CO%. In less urban and less smoggy areas a basic TSI (two-speed idle test) is performed which samples the exhaust at idle and at 2,500 rpm for HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide) emissions along with a functional EGR test. At any rate, the information I found lists two displacements for the Tercel - 1.5L & 1.6L. I assume that this means that either the 3A-C or the 4A-C would be acceptable, and I'm sure most smog techs probably wouldn't be aware of the difference between the two. If there was an issue, I would just remove the 4A sticker on the valve cover.

As for engine swaps, it's difficult to get them certified by a Smog Referee Station, as there are guidelines that need be followed. I was interested in swapping a 4A-FE or 7A-FE into one of my wagons, but it doesn't seem like it's going to work because I called the CARB in regards to this and they said that the engine's exhaust must remain stock all the way to the catalytic converter. The problem with this is that the stock exhaust manifold on these engines will not clear the Tercel's steering, which creates the problem. I have just decided I will stick to the 3A-C and 4A-C engines and live with their lower output (of course with internal modifications to increase the output).

Here are the guidelines from the CARB website:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
• The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
• The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
• If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
• All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
• Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

On the website you will read also that just about everything is "illegal" in regards to changing parts between engines, models, etc.

The BAR also has these Engine Change Guidelines on this webpage: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/0 ... lines.html

It used to be that there was a 30 year exemption law for vehicles that needed to go through smog checks. Governor Schwartzenegger approved AB2683 that removed this provision and now all vehicles model year 1976 and newer must undergo Smog Checks.

I have had more than my share of trouble getting my vehicles through the smog check. Usually it comes down to having a good catalytic converter and a properly operating carburetor. One of my cars has passed the enhanced test with a vacuum leak, the EGR passages completely clogged (unbeknownst to me at the time, later to be discovered), and consuming a lot of oil. It was the new catalytic converter that helped out a lot in terms of reducing emissions output, however, if the engine is not running optimally it will kill the catalytic converter, therefore it would be prudent to perform other repairs to the system before replacing the converter.

The California CAP (Consumer Assistance Program) is still offering $1,000 to retire your old polluting vehicle. Two former members chose to go this route and had their T4WD's crushed. As far as I know, the car is crushed whole so that none of the parts can be salvaged. However, there are restrictions on how many vehicles you can retire and a list of requirements is listed on the application here: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/f ... AP_App.pdf. It will not work on out-of-state cars and the program has numerous other restrictions to ensure that the program is not abused by unscrupulous individuals looking to profit from the state.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
todd0

Post by todd0 »

guess its sold, posting has been deleted by its author.

I should have bought it, i just waited to long.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Add 4wdchico to the CA list, too. I think he took the emissions tech test (or was one) at some point - right?
Tom M.
Yes, I took the California clean air course in '02. Got the smog tech license. Had no real desire to do that for a living. I like to do challenging diagnostics, not just on cars. Taking the course made me much more time efficient in getting to the root of problems.