4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post by 4doorVIP »

Sup ya'll, I've been trolling these forums for a couple months and finally think I should post up my ride!

She's an 88 SR5 wagon 5-speed, 2 owner car!

Mechanically it runs, but I have some work ahead of me.
Body wise...rust on the wheels wells..typically yota rust

This will be my third Toyota, but first manual 4wd!
Everyone laughs and asks why I bought the thing, but I know how well these things handle in poor weater conditions (thx youtube!)

I've refinished all the wiper arms, battey tie down, and rad brackets..more to come later

things I need to do:
new rad
new brakes
seafoam treatment
bigger wheels/tires

Anyways here are some pictures
before engine detail
after engine detail
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: 4doorVIPs Tercel SR5 BEAST

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
Your engine bay cleaned up better than I would have thought.
Tom M>
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Nice car, too bad about the rust. Are those alloy wheels or wheel covers?

I would suggest replacing the brake rotors and calipers with those from a '92 or newer Tercel, gives you 25 mm vented rotors and they swap right over with the addition of an 1/8th shim under the rotor. see the thread on brake up grade.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

thanks guys!
yeah the rust on this thing is a downer... I may end up replacing both front fenders with new, then cutting and rewelding the rears.

thx Petros, I will do the Tercel swap :)
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member

Post by 4doorVIP »

Oh and the wheels are 13" alloys, I'm not sure what car they are off of but the car originally came with 14's, I'm not sure why they put 13's on it to be honest.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Those are the factory '87-'88 alloy wheels that came with that car as an option. I've been wanting to get my hands on a car like yours, an '87 or '88 SR5 with those alloy wheels, the sunroof, working A/C, and the elusive factory cruise control. This car never came with 14" wheels stock in North America, but I think the German T4WDs had that as an option.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forums! Thanks for finally deciding to post pics too.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

4doorVIP wrote:thanks guys!
yeah the rust on this thing is a downer... I may end up replacing both front fenders with new, then cutting and rewelding the rears.

thx Petros, I will do the Tercel swap :)
If you have that kind of fender rust...you'd best check underneath and look for holes in the frame...these I don't think you need to fix...just oil to stop the rust.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

You asked if those are wheel covers? Those are my style wheels, heck that's my except car except for the 88 model year.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the blue that DCN and 4door VIP have is the only colour the 4WD terc wagons came in that i actually like. burgundy? gold? white? lame light green? lame light blue? f'n awful. that dark blue is nice though. i notice a lot of the 2WD have more interesting colour schemes and cool multi-coloured stripes and designs on them--perhaps compensating for the lack of 4WD, but if only they'd put the same effort into our cars. i almost didn't buy mine based on the horrible colour and interior alone. i've had to learn to love the interior but the burgundy... no way.

i have those wheels too. i painted them flat black though and they are currently waiting for a set of winter tires. they actually look pretty cool in black.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

Know what you mean DLB, back when we were looking for a Terc for me in 2000 I was _terrified_ I'd wind up finding a brown one. No offence to brown owners, by now I'd love it as much as mine.

Love my blue and my black interior.

My wheels are polished looks like they're pretty versatile!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

dcn wrote:I was _terrified_ I'd wind up finding a brown one.
It's TOPAZ, you whippersnapper!
dcn wrote:No offence to brown owners, by now I'd love it as much as mine.
Oh sure - like this phony disclaimer makes me or my Goldie feel better!
At least we spell "offense" the way the vast majority of North Americans do.

Remember, I am a Moderator and have the Power to remove photos of certain ultraclean Wagons (that have wheels that could be used as NASA solar reflectors) and add dirt and rust and pigeon poop and inappropriate bumper stickers (Yes! Stickers that will be impossible to remove!) - and then return them to threads and then all the world will laugh and snicker and guffaw and small children will point fingers and...
Watch it, Bub!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

best post yet, tom. but topaz? come ooooooonnnnn.

i've always wondered about the correct spelling of offence. i've always preferred the one i just used but alternate between the two because messing with the english language makes me feel frisky.

sorry, super OT.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:best post yet, tom. but topaz? come ooooooonnnnn.

i've always wondered about the correct spelling of offence. i've always preferred the one i just used but alternate between the two because messing with the english language makes me feel frisky.

sorry, super OT.
Heyy - that's what the Mother Ship called it back then. Though I've always told her "You are 'Regal Gold', Sweetie!"
And "frisky?" TMI - just sayin'...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

As soon as I hit submit on my post, something told me you'd be the first person to reply Arch.. I seriously mean that I have no problem with, er Topaz (heck I got stuck with the name steel blue metallic, ewwwww :wink: ), I'm just saying that when I was on the outside of the Terc club lookin in I was choosy about colour.

Oh and isn't offence with a 'c' the Canadian version?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

just found this:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Offence or offense (see American and British English spelling differences, -ce/-se) may refer to:

Offence (law), a violation of the penal law

Offense (sports) That portion of a team that is in control of the ball or puck at the beginning of the play, except in baseball. In baseball, the offense is the team at bat. In some sports, the players on the field or court play both offense and defense depending on the ebb and flow of the action. In others, there are specialized offense squads and defense squads.

Offense (policy debate) refers to an argument that makes a definite value judgment on an advocacy.

Offense (etiquette), an untasteful thought, emotion, action or other behaviour

being a part of the british commonwealth, i guess the "-ce"spelling does apply to us canadians. but if we lived anywhere else we might be in trouble! so we're ALL RIGHT. what a feel good situation.

back on topic: don't tell me that steel blue metallic isn't a good name! and don't forget zoolander's blue steel look. i'm sure we can all draw some witty associations between the two.

tom: pics of goldie, please! and takza too. not knowing what regular board members tercs looks like makes me un-frisky.