Engine Shock Toyota-Benz

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Engine Shock Toyota-Benz

Post by SirNik83 »

I read on hear some time back about someone thinking of using a Mercedes-Benz engine shock to replace the Toyota engine shock... well since my other car is a Mercedes and I had a few engine shockes in the parts pile. So I set off to see about making this happen. This is what I came up with.

I didn't want to alter the car or the MB engine shock, as I wanted to be able to replace the engine shock if needed. so I built this adapter

I cut a tube about 1.25 inches long, on top of that I piut a 17mm nut, so i'd have something to hold on to while installing the adapter. then I welded in the little tiny 10mm nut that threads onto the end of then engine shock, on top of that I welded a nother random nut so there was space on ether side of the nut that was actully doing the threading into the shock. I then chased the 10mm nut wuth a tap because of the hear warp. On top of that stack I welded the rod I cut off the toyota shock.

This allows the adapter to thread into the shock and get tightened down to the shock with the 17mm nut. then its just like installing the toyota shock.

Added bonus, the MB engine shock has the same threads as the Toyota shock, and all the rubber bits and washers fit from ether application. :mrgreen:
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Engine Shock Toyota-Benz

Post by xirdneh »

i like it
but where will i get one of those?
could buy a new one but i suspect it will cost plenty
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Post by SirNik83 »

Their not all that bad new.
$35
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/produc ... ock/Damper

I got the one I used at the junk yard. look for any old mercedes diesel. their installed in the same place as the Tercel between the engine mount arm and the crossmember. The MBs have them on both sides their held on with all 10mm bolts/nuts, but you may also need a vice grip to keep the body of the shock from rotating.

The enging shock is the black thing on the right. but likley the whole place will be black with oil sludge on the junk yard MBs.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

why did you need to make the adapter, was the MB shock a a few inches short? also, why does the adapter need the sleeve? it looks like it just covers the non-threaded portion of the rod on the shock. is it to bottom out against the body of the shock?

that MB shock should have nuts or flats on it, like the toyota one, so that you can hold it still while snugging up the end nuts. i've damaged these things by using vice grips to hold them.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member

Post by SirNik83 »

Yep the MB shock is a bit short, actully the "stem" on the shock body side is the same lengeth as the entire toyota shock body. yet the shocks have about the same abount of travel. I don't think there is enough diffrence in shock travel to be a problem.

The're is no nut on the body of the shock. Yes the sleve part bottoms out on the body of the shock. The original MB setup uses a rubber bushing, something like the sleve I used only around the outside of the sleve is rubber, then a large 2" or so body with flanges to the MB motor mount arm. You can see it in the picture I posted of the MB motor mount arm.

When I replace these on my Mercedes I take the shock and mount it in that busching on the bench. use some plyers to hold the shock while I tighten the nut. Once its in the bushing you drop it in the car and bolt it down. on the other end it is exactly like the toyota shock. except the toyota has a nut you can grap built into the piston end of the shock... the MB only has 2 flat spots in the piston.

I used the sleve becasue I wanted to ad strength or the adapter and since the MB bushing normaly mounts to the bottom of the shock body I thought the adapter should also.

This is the mercedes bushing.

The shock body mounts aginst the shiney part.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

How has this set up faired for you so far? I would like to do this for mine and am curious as to the longevity