Full Gasket Kit: What the Heck are These "Washers"

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
MorToy
My tercel:: 1983 4WD Wagon.. Added Inclinometer

Full Gasket Kit: What the Heck are These "Washers"

Post by MorToy »

Doing an engine rebuild. Bought a full gasket kit. Naturally, the kit does not have a part number index, let along diagrams (suppose they figure whoever buys this level of kit actually knows what they are doing). Using the FSM, the PNC and playing "match this odd shape to that gasket" I've been able to figure out what goes where...except for four silver "washers." They are OD 25mm, ID 20MM (2.5mm wide). They were in a bag with the manifold's EGR washers but I don't think they go on the exhaust system. Anyone know?
washers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Full Gasket Kit: What the Heck are These "Washers"

Post by Petros »

some models of emission control system (depends on year or CA or FED model) have large tubes off the manifold as part of the EGR system, they use large banjo fittings on the ends. These look like metal gaskets for those fittings. If you do not have those fittings on your car, or you do not disturb the connection, you do not need them.

Good luck on the overhaul. Check my head gasket replacement thread for information on installing the head. I would have the flywheel lightened and balance while it is out of the car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
MorToy
My tercel:: 1983 4WD Wagon.. Added Inclinometer

Re: Full Gasket Kit: What the Heck are These "Washers"

Post by MorToy »

Petros,

Yep, that makes sense. All the documentation I have is for '83's so it must be a later thing. There are two larger washers with four sides cut that go on the banjo fitting on the lower end of the big metal EGR tube. I sure don't have any other metal tubes on the EGR system, so I'll leave these smaller round ones out and not lose anymore sleep.

Thanks! You rock.

PS: One step ahead of you, I printed out your head gasket tutorial and used it while putting my new one in. Even did the sandpaper/tile trick to clean up the shop's machining. I had the flywheel balanced before reading your piece so it did not get lightened....