Been a while!!!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

Hey fellow Tercel nuts, Sorry I have been gone so long (since October?) But I have been busy what with looking for a new job and then actually working. But for those of you that remember how I used to have a 6 speed, then I had a 5 speed transmission installed after the 6 died, but that I was sad and missed that E.L. gear..well I just got a completely rebuilt 6 speed installed about 2 weeks ago. God I forgot how great it is. I got a heavy duty rhino clutch as long as the car was in the shop. So lets recap everything from the past 16 months.
Engine rebuild
rebuilt 6 speed tranny
rhino clutch package
new front rotors
new seals on the back axle
new radiator
timing belt
rebuilt alternator
new water pump
Muffler
new master cylinder
new horn (145 db mini two tone air horn..awesome)
and of course, a headlight upgrade. so now I just need to replace the front CV's and I am getting a weber carb in a few weeks for it and I think that will be it for anything mechanically that needs to be done before I start the Convertible conversion prep...slow but steady progress.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

lol. Nice signature.
Is that your car in the avatar? Nice if so.
So you have a stock engine thus far? You should checkout the discussion about 4A-G(Z)E swaps thats been going on.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Can you tell us a little more about the clutch? There aren't many options for upgraded clutches that most of us know about except to go custom and change the flywheel as well.
If you had no extra low, it's because it wasn't working. All the 4WD's had it.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Yeah, me too, I want to know about the Rhino clutch.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

first of all, Typrus, sorry to say that is not my car...yet. I am currently planning on and aquiring parts needed to turn my sr5 into a soft top convertible with kind of a jeep type snap on top. That is a photoshopped concept pic.

And I heard on here that there were no 4WD without 6 speed, and I held out hope, but I was pretty sure that it was nonexistant. After the old one was taken out I asked about it and he said that it was a 5speed tranny, and when he was ordering a 4WD tranny for me, he had the options of a 5 or 6.

As for the Rhino Clutch kit, I don't have a lot of info on them. I know them for Truck clutches big and small, and when my mechanic pointedx out that my old mechanic from a couple years ago had actually sold me a refurbished clutch he offered to aquire and install this rhino clutch for free (the clutch was $168) I can not find any info online about their small car clutches, but I know they had a basic one for about $100, but he did say I would be able to tell a big difference when I use this clucth at lower speeds while only using partial clutch. I have to say, it is very smooth and I can let out the clutch incredibly slowly on an incline and slowly inch forward with no dead spaces (like that point where if you let out any more clutch the car may lunge slightly, then you press in a bit again and you lose the frictyion you had and the car starts to roll back for a sec...etc) So..now that I know about this, I know next time I will try to get Rhino Pac (thats the full name) clutches and parts again. if you want, I will call my mechanic and find out where he ordered it from and what the model number is.
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

If that is a concept, I assume you know a place where you can buy that ground effects kit... WHERE??? lol.. I want to jazz my look up a bit, but don't think I want something that juts down that far, as I occasionally do stupid stunts like show off for friends by driving halfway on the sidewalk at our churches parking lot... lol. I actually was proud, as in parts its a 6 inch tall ledge. but anyway.... lol
A GE kit would also help with aerodynamics a bit, which as we all know the Terc could use some help with that..
And why not jack up my "street appeal". The Terc could use some modern "bling"
If I had ANY skills with fiberglass or plastics and any access to a windtunnel, I'd get right on it, but sadly, not many windtunnels exist around me that I know of and I have never even tried to lay fiberglass, though I'm told its a pain to do without a mold of some kind.
If you could get a properly made GE kit, you could have those front scoops cooling an intercooler perhaps? Or an engine oil cooling radiator. Heck, if someone could find one or make one, you could even put a tranny cooler on it. Even manuals can benefit from cooler temps, though they don't get as high as autos... meh. Just a thought.
With that bumper setup, those headlights and that grill need to be revamped... Wonder what kind of wacky things you could get to fit on a Terc.. Altezza anyone?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

In my Tercel thread I mentioned the Rhino Pac clutch kit, but I got no input on it. It appears that carparts.com no longer offers it. I see that the next clutch that's offered is the Sachs clutch. Don't know how good that one is. I think warbstrd has one. I'm probably going to go with the Beck Arnley clutch.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

I have been learning and and practicing fiberglass work...the GE there is built for a newer Terc...so I know there is going to be quite a bit of custom hand work that will have to be done. I am going to be keeping the tail lights but the rear hatch will no longer be a hatch, but a solid piece of the car body with no seams...hopefully.

The kit is a 91-94 TERCEL GT-EVO3 kit...but I will make it work. there is a company that is always selling it on ebay..but they have had less and less posts over the past year, so I need to pick a kit up before they stop making it.

I used to do lots of stupid (fun) crap in my terc...I decided that it deserves some pampering after the hell I put it through (lots of air catching offroading/mudding, dragging refridgerators, towing heavy things that had or did not have wheels...race car driving in general...180's galore and pushing shopping carts.)

20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

body Dimensions of older civic hb's are similar to ours. you can sligtly mod the kits to match our body lines.

Not to mention that the upper and lower braces will fit too!!

('92 civic si hb)
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

<a href='http://www.wickedbodies.net/generic37.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wickedbodies.net/generic37.html</a>
Wow... If what you say is true, thats pretty nice right there..

91-94 Tercel 2 door body kit.
<a href='http://www.ultimateauto.com/index2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ultimateauto.com/index2.html</a>

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I refreshed this topic mostly for the comments on GFX setups.