Tercel 4wd wagon vs Subaru GL or loyale wagon 4wd

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Tercel 4wd wagon vs Subaru GL or loyale wagon 4wd

Post by florykitty »

any one knows the difference between those 2?of course i like toyota but i kind want to know the diff if you guys know can we compare?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Tercel 4wd wagon vs Subaru GL or loyale wagon 4wd

Post by Mattel »

There's quite a few differences. But in the main one for cars this old is that the Subarus have a more complicated rear axle with CV joints as opposed the Tercel with it's stronger and simpler live axle. In Australia however there are far more Subaru parts around than Tercel so that might sway your decision as well. I would say the Tercel would be more reliable as a old car. Loyale (or liberty) wagons are like the Corolla all-trac (another excellent car that you should look for) in that they have permanent 4wd as opposed to the earlier cars manually selected 4wd. To be honest I would look for a Tercel wagon or All-trac (if you are doing more highway driving) first but if a really nice subaru came along that checked out well I wouldn't hesitate (depending on availability of parts where you are).
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

subarus are also much more difficult to do major repairs, head gaskets are a common problem with subarus and you have to pull the whole engine to fix them. even minor service like adjusting the valves is a PIA in a subaru because of the valve location. Th subarus are also much lighter and not as durable, trim, interior, even body parts seem to be easily damage or degrade with time, while I have seen many many SR5 tercels with near perfect interiors, I doubt you would find that with any subarus that old. It seems to be the subarus are also more rust prone, though any car at this age can have hidden rust. there is also a lot larger support for subarus, more interest in performance mods, etc. If that is your interest.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Post by florykitty »

petros ,you are Absolutly a master in knowledge about those old cars ,much respect from my i wish to know half of your knowledge Thanks,is good we have those people on this forum very helpful,i own many cars but mechanical knowledge i am not that good,still learning