Unrecognized Acuator/diaphragm & VSV

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, I have what seems to be an anomaly - or at least something not covered in the 1986 FSM.
As detailed in the photos, there is an "extra" actuator/diaphragm located below the TP linkage. This is tied to an "extra" VSV, which has a "T" junction which then leads to the S/W (B) and the TVSV. The electrical wires from this VSV go into a larger cable for ?
When the diaphragm is actuated by pulling on its tiny linkage, air can be heard escaping from the atmospheric port on the left side of the VSV.
This actuator, etc., is not covered in either the 1986 FSM or in Autozone's excellent Repair Guide site. Nothing is shown in ANY of the vac diagrams, emissions section, or carb section in either publication.
The car was made in October of 1985, and the VIN code indicates that it is a 1986 model. I presume from the printed hood vac hose information that this is not just a "special" for cars sold originally in Tennessee.
I would appreciate any advice on this and how the carb tune should be modified. Thanks.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

I believe it is the "idle up" actuator. It increases the idle speed when you switch on the Air Conditioner. It is in the 86 FSM on page AC-17.
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

If you notice on the vacuum hose label on the hood of the car, those vacuum lines are indicated by dashed lines. On the bottom of the label is a key showing which lines are pipes, hoses or for the A/C. There are no modificactions to tune-up specs as a result of these components. The cover on the end of the VSV is vented to the atmosphere to relieve vacuum to the actuator when the VSV is de-energized. This allows the idle to return to normal. Hope this helps.

Nice photos....helps see what you are talking about.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Mine doesn't work lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ahhh so.
I will check this when I get home tomorrow.
I'm embarrassed about not discovering it in the FSM, with as many times as I scoured that book, but then I never thought to look in the A/C section, as my A/C is inoperative. I do wonder why it is not even mentioned in the vac lines diagrams.
Thanks, Chris.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain