forum

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

forum

Post by florykitty »

hello everyone here i just got my 85 tercel 4wd sr5 ,ac power steering ,like new int and ext no dents no rust paint start to be faded so i probably do a paint job in future ,manual trans needs work i pay 2 k for it engine runs great,160 k mile what do you think about price ?any advise for that bad transmision manual
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: forum

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

it depends what is wrong with the trans, there are some things that are external and easy to fix. But if it was abused and never had the gear oil changed like it was supposed to, it might be trashed. 160k miles is very low for a trans to wear out (they typically last twice that long), it might be a bad clutch or throw out bearing. If it is the trans, getting the trans overhauled is about $1000 if you can find a shop that can do it (and find a kit for it). The best bet is to find a used replacement trans that is good shape, good used trans are $250-400, if you can find them.

That would be a great price for one in good condition, a bit high if the trans actually is completely shot. It it can be fixed than the price is excellent. If it is making a lot of noise there is a chance it is the throw out bearing, pilot bearing or the clutch itself. that can be fixed fairly easy, but the trans has to come out and the parts replaced.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
florykitty
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5,85 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5,86 Toyota Tercel 4wd SR5 complete for parts,81Toyota tercel SR5 liftback old school

Post by florykitty »

thanks for your help guys,i hope i can put this little rig back on the road ,but if its the throw out bearing or pilot bearing or clutch cause the pedal is very low ,i can put it in gear with out press the clutch now ,its a problem like transmission shop can be fixed or any mechanical shop ?thanks again,i also need to replace rack and pinion i was thinking buy one from like o realy store or napa reman?rock auto .com ?whats your main parts suplier for those little 4wd Tercel ?thanks again
florykitty
Top Notch Member

Post by florykitty »

hello everyone ,whats the best mpg you can get on 1985 Tercel 4wd manual trans?Thank you
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Any repair shop that routinely does clutch replacment can replace the clutch. throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Have them replace the rear seal while the clutch is being replaces, well worth it.

I check three places when buying costly parts, Rockauto.com (but watch out for high shipping costs), NAPA online (order on-line and delivered to your closest store, much cheaper than buying in-store, and no shipping cost), and Autzone on-line, free shipping if buying more than $100.

Usually rock auto is cheapes, but not always if you include shipping cost.

there is a thread on fuel economy already, go search for it. Most get about 26 mpg city, 32-33 hwy. though a few get as high as 36 mpg, for no reason that anyone can tell.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
florykitty
Top Notch Member

Post by florykitty »

Thank you much Petros sounds like you know a lot about this little rig,any idea how much the conversion of ac on r134 will cost?
florykitty
Top Notch Member

Post by florykitty »

I AM in need of good working transmision for my 85 ,please if any one can help let me know i pay cash shiping anithing so i can see my 85 tercel 4wd working
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

No harm in getting transmission oil flush and replacement with a quality Synth oil. I think it is a GL4 oil you might try (if anyone else remembers please correct me) but my tramsmission on my '85 was really stubborn and then we replaced with this oil and it made a huge difference. a lot cheaper than a new transmission!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms