Rock Auto

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Rock Auto

Post by celtglen »

Hi Guys,

Got a couple of questions about dealing with our beloved Rock Auto:

1. Attitude from RA customer service when requesting an exchange or return?

2. If when trying to get an exchange or return, has Rock Auto customer service ever asked you this;
" it sounds like you may have installed this. Please confirm."

Don't get me wrong I love and have bought hundreds of dollars of parts from RA and previously NEVER had this question asked of me and ever got attitude from anyone there..

I am wondering if RA is changing? Last month I saw ads on TV for RA..just wondering if I am going to have to find another source.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rock Auto

Post by irowiki »

What were you trying to return?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have not had to return anything, I could not tell you. They are likely one of the largest on-line auto parts retailer, they will have growth pains. If anyone is rude to you, work up the food chain and explain how you were treated.

if something is defective there is no way to know that unless you install it first, that seems like a very stupid question. If the part is good there is no reason to return it, if is the wrong part for the car, there is no reason to install it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:If anyone is rude to you, work up the food chain and explain how you were treated.
+1
Petros wrote:if something is defective there is no way to know that unless you install it first, that seems like a very stupid question.
+1
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I had to return a mid pipe for our Honda earlier this year. I ordered a new muffler and mid pipe and installed them. I only needed the muffler but figured do it all while in there. The mid pipe banged against the heat shield at the bend where it went around the rear suspension. It was like driving with your head inside a drum. I pulled the midpipe, took pictures of the bend on the new pipe and old pipe and sent them in.

They verified that the mid pipe had the wrong radius for the bend and checked their stock to see if the rest of their stock had the same problem. Their stock checker confirmed that the rest of the stock was correct so they sent me a replacement. Guess what, it too was bent wrong and even though their own specs and drawings showed the correct bend, as did Bosal, the mfg, they chose to send me a refund after the second one instead of a correct pipe.

The factory mid pipe is back on the car, but at 15 years old, I don't know how long it will last or where I will get a replacement. I may just go to a muffler shop and have the pipe custom bent, it doesn't usually cost any more to do that.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i have had no problems returning stuff (quite a few orders over last 7 years)
recently i ordered hatch shocks that looked like they would not work (honda civic)
i called and told them this
they insisted i try them first
so i did
they did not work
i called them back and told them they did not fit
she read the notes from the previous contact that said to "try them first"
because they had been installed they would not want them to be returned
i got to keep them and got a full refund including shipping charge
and they sent the ones that fit
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

Thanks Guys,

FYI the part is a really simple one; temp gauge the one for the water line not for the radiator..it is the one that goes in right next to the timing cover. I checked and rechecked like 5x before ordering it-their site lists two with little hearts--that mean most ordered--I ordered one of those 2.

The one they sent didn't match up on the threading, that is the part did not screw all in the way in, thereby creating a leak around the part.

They gave me a lot of crap about it saying we sold a hundred of these and have only 7 back --blah bloah blah. I referred to my previous purchase of the part --but they no longer stock that brand and said it wasn't listed for my car anyway..yeah right I am the Moron..no way that part screwed in perfectly as have the others I bought from Toyo when I had real money and a real job.

Their attitude was punk so I asked to be connected with someone higher up--no response for a couple of days then they decided to refund the $ sans the shipping. Said to keep the part..so if anyone needs it its yours..
I drive the 2WD so maybe it could fit one of y'alls.

I just don't like being treated like a Moron from a supplier...cannot think twice about never using them again because of the lack of parts for our precious little runners.

Your morale support helps--thanks
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Still need one? I may have a working spare.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I would have chewed the ear off of some punk that acted like that to me, and than demand to talk to his supervisor. They can not afford to piss-off their customers, it is not worth it since you have alternatives to buy auto parts from, his boss needs to know what a prick the guy was, he was not helpful and did not solve your problem, he should not be working there.

All auto parts stores occasionally get the wrong parts in the box from the supplier, it has happened to me lots of times. not just from them but from Napa and Autozone as well, they can not check the box, they have to assume the supplier sends them correctly packaged parts. I recently ordered front and rear seals, and a cam seal from them. All were good except the front seal. the correct part numbers was on the box, but the front seal was clearly the wrong size, I went to O'rielly's and got a front seal, same brand, same box, same part number, different seal in the box. I decided it is not worth bothering for $1.99, but that kind of thing happens all the time, it is not their fault, but neither should some idiot counter clerk treat you bad.

that sender is the same on the 2wd and 4wd Tercel, it is the same engine, same head assembly. I have pulled them off 2wd Tercels from the wrecking yard to use in my T4wd
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
celtglen
Top Notch Member

Post by celtglen »

irowiki wrote:Still need one? I may have a working spare.
Wouldn't hurt
celtglen
Top Notch Member

Post by celtglen »

Petros wrote:I would have chewed the ear off of some punk that acted like that to me, and than demand to talk to his supervisor. They can not afford to piss-off their customers, it is not worth it since you have alternatives to buy auto parts from, his boss needs to know what a prick the guy was, he was not helpful and did not solve your problem, he should not be working there...
I would have but I am loosing my fight, ya know?